A conversation with my mom made me think... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Forum Citizen
Default A conversation with my mom made me think...

I was talking with my mom earlier today and she asked "why do I keep spiders because its not like you can cuddle them or play with them" I just said "I find them really interesting to observe and love to watch them web up an enclosure"

She then went on to say "How come you don't let me watch when you put them into something bigger" and I said "Its off putting when someone is watching and I'm already nervous"

Do you find it off putting if someone is watching you rehouse a T?
Do you get nervous?

I'm ok with my G. rosea and Brachys, I don't get get nervous but with my OWs I do, I'm still calm but always on edge with them. I don't know if thats normal or because I was scared of spiders before I got over my fear and I am aware on how quick they can move when they want to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Postaholic Member

I used to get nervous but don't anymore. I prefer not to have other people around, as they only get in the way and start screaming if things don't go to plan
Dr3d and ojo like this.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Premier Citizen

Depends on the T, I'm not sure if I'd say nervous but certainly I can be a little tense with the speedy species, I think more that I'm worried about any risk to them if they do something I wasn't expecting. So yeah I like somewhere quiet and prepared like the bathroom. My wife likes to watch me unpack new arrivals but knows I'll take certain ones off to one side, she also loves watching them fed and watered etc, she's fascinated with how interesting they are even if she want's to be nowhere near the feeder crickets/locusts (she feeds our beardie but I have to leave the days feeders in a tub for her to tip in with him!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Ultra Citizen

Luckily I havn't had to rehouse my wifes H. Lividum sling yet but I have rehoused her straight horned baboon (dont know scientific name - just cant remember it & theres 3 to choose from) at least 3 times with no major incidents.
I dont know if I would be more nervous with an audience but I do know I detest people watching me work especially if they dont know what they are talking about & keep critisizing (sp) or making stupid suggestions.

1.0.0 Burmese python, 1.1.2 Tarantulas, 1.0.0 Crested Gecko, 1.1.0 Cats, 0.2.0 Ferrets, 0.0.1 Goldfish, 0.2.0 Children, 0.1.0 Endlessly Nagging Wife!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

how many people you know with fish, get the out of the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleyfarl View Post
I was talking with my mom earlier today and she asked "why do I keep spiders because its not like you can cuddle them or play with them" I just said "I find them really interesting to observe and love to watch them web up an enclosure"

She then went on to say "How come you don't let me watch when you put them into something bigger" and I said "Its off putting when someone is watching and I'm already nervous"

Do you find it off putting if someone is watching you rehouse a T?
Do you get nervous?

I'm ok with my G. rosea and Brachys, I don't get get nervous but with my OWs I do, I'm still calm but always on edge with them. I don't know if thats normal or because I was scared of spiders before I got over my fear and I am aware on how quick they can move when they want to
Bab1084 likes this.
multiple of:-M. Balfouri, P Regalis, P Tig, E cyanognathus, E utamans, P. irminia. P irminia, A. Braunshauseni, A. Metallica, A, Azuraklassi,H. Gigas, B. Smithi, brachypelma albopilosa, brachypelma vagans, B. boehmi, T. Blondi, T. stirmi, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Cobalt blue, OBT, cyriocosmus elegans,and many more, beardie
+ a boxer and old time bulldog cross bitches. Not a charleton or arguementative in anyway
Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Forum Citizen

I got a 13 year old cat and you can't cuddle him either .. he is just a "leave me alone and feed me while cleaning up my poo" cat ...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbajabba View Post
I got a 13 year old cat and you can't cuddle him either .. he is just a "leave me alone and feed me while cleaning up my poo" cat ...
since when did you have a cat Michael, is it your OH's?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbajabba View Post
I used to have one like that, if my dog so much as looked at it he got a face full of claws! I had to get rid of her in the end for the safety of my poor dogs eyes!

My mum watches me re-house she really enjoys looking at them and I like having her around incase one escapes as I am still over coming my fear and I know if one was to escape she would be calm and help me re-capture but I only have slings at the minute and 2 of those are grammys so they arent exactly the fastest most dangerous T's in the world! lol
0.1 T stirmi - Felicity R.I.P
0.1 G pulchripes - Mosag

0.1 G pulchra - Obsidian

BBM PIN - 2A395567 - Add me
Xbox & PS3 tag BIGBootayyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggys View Post
Sometimes I get confused when the sentence doesn't end in the way you potato.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina20 View Post
potato

Last edited by Bab1084; 05-04-2012 at 08:21 AM..
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicpickle View Post
I used to get nervous but don't anymore. I prefer not to have other people around, as they only get in the way and start screaming if things don't go to plan
........ but Lisa..... it was you that screamed
Dr3d likes this.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhutch View Post
how many people you know with fish, get the out of the tank
Well, my mate had a lungfish once, and..............