flying insect id :L ? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 26-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colosseum View Post
Pitty you have a fear they really are not bad at all if you are gentle with Wasps you can have them walk on your hand I have done this many a time most the time they sit there and clean themselves, I find them fascinating especially the paper wasps there tubular nests are most awesome.
i'm getting way better though
like i can take photos of bees from pretty close.

but if anything buzzes past me or if i see a bee flying , my arms sort of flap and hit people within arms reach of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
Wasps are amazing little creatures. We had a nest in our loft one year. Got to see the nest too, amazing!
Yeah we have lots of nests round here in the summer months, I cut a old disused one down last year, I got a hacksaw blade and gently cut the nest in half the detail and work that goes into these nests is simply amazing, there was a few old dead's in there as well they were the German wasps.
Old 26-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin_tom View Post
i'm getting way better though
like i can take photos of bees from pretty close.

but if anything buzzes past me or if i see a bee flying , my arms sort of flap and hit people within arms reach of me.
Yeah if you can get out of that habit I know its human instinct to automatically do that but the Wasp gets very annoyed at that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah we have lots of nests round here in the summer months, I cut a old disused one down last year, I got a hacksaw blade and gently cut the nest in half the detail and work that goes into these nests is simply amazing, there was a few old dead's in there as well they were the German wasps.
i love the nests.
they're so brilliantly fragile, yet they're so resilient to everything

Quote:
Yeah if you can get out of that habit I know its human instinct to automatically do that but the Wasp gets very annoyed at that.
i think i just need to be stung again, to realise that it's not that bad
Old 26-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin_tom View Post
i love the nests.
they're so brilliantly fragile, yet they're so resilient to everything

i think i just need to be stung again, to realise that it's not that bad
Was out in Corfu last June and the wasps over there are cool, the Hornets are massive so big you could whack a saddle on them and ride them, they used to come down to the pool for a drink of water stunning things.
Old 26-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Was out in Corfu last June and the wasps over there are cool, the Hornets are massive so big you could whack a saddle on them and ride them, they used to come down to the pool for a drink of water stunning things.
I saw some in the canary islands, not sure what they were but they were jet black all over and did the same, came down to the pool to drink. Must admit I was a bit nervous of those ones though and admired them from a distance
Old 26-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
I saw some in the canary islands, not sure what they were but they were jet black all over and did the same, came down to the pool to drink. Must admit I was a bit nervous of those ones though and admired them from a distance
Yes I would imagine they would pack a nice punch. Like you say one to keep your distance from but its worse when the things dive bomb you when you are taking a dip in the pool.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Yes I would imagine they would pack a nice punch. Like you say one to keep your distance from but its worse when the things dive bomb you when you are taking a dip in the pool.
I got stung by a black wasp in spain.. I was only 9 or 10 but I remember it hurting!

Last edited by geckodelta; 26-04-2012 at 11:55 PM..
Old 27-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Wasps are amazing little creatures. We had a nest in our loft one year. Got to see the nest too, amazing!
they give me the heebeegeebees!

Quote:
Pitty you have a fear they really are not bad at all if you are gentle with Wasps you can have them walk on your hand I have done this many a time most the time they sit there and clean themselves, I find them fascinating especially the paper wasps there tubular nests are most awesome.
the only wasp ever to land on my hand, when i was 7 years old, promptly stung my finger with no provocation from me whatsoever. i stayed still, wasn't even scared of it- until it stung me! i've avoided them ever since.
Old 28-04-2012, 10:23 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

It's a lovely little Ancistrocerus sp. - Potter wasp
Colosseum and spinnin_tom like this.

Tags
fly , insect , wasp