Help needed. Scorps infested (inc pics). - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM
5 Star Member
Default Help needed. Scorps infested (inc pics).

A mate has lost half a dozen scorps, and a few T's over the last 2 weeks. Below is a pic of one of the scorps. If you look at the area I've circled, you can see some form of eggs.

Does anyone have an idea what the infestation could be, and how to get rid of it? What ever it is, it seems to be killing off his collection pretty fast. The eggs are clearly visable with the naked eye.

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Before buying a royal python containing the spider gene, give this short video a watch. It may well change your mind http://youtu.be/JfTbiZ_dzVM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Regular

They look more like huge mites than eggs and what seems to a serious infestation. I don't have the time to post anything in regards to help, but you need to sort that quick any non infected Ts/scorps need to be relocated ASAP google mite infestations you should get some info while you wsit for other users to drop knowledge.

But that pic is the worst case I've seen of mites it doesn't look good :/
Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious jay View Post
They look more like huge mites than eggs and what seems to a serious infestation. I don't have the time to post anything in regards to help, but you need to sort that quick any non infected Ts/scorps need to be relocated ASAP google mite infestations you should get some info while you wsit for other users to drop knowledge.

But that pic is the worst case I've seen of mites it doesn't look good :/
I thought they were mites at first, but they seemed a bit to big.

He's been fighting a bad mite infestation for the last month (almost under control), so I guess my size estimation could be out by a good bit.

I've told him to freeze the scorp, and bring it for me to put it under my microscope. Normally I would have gone and had a proper look, but with his snakes having mites, I decided against it.

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Before buying a royal python containing the spider gene, give this short video a watch. It may well change your mind http://youtu.be/JfTbiZ_dzVM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

They look like mites.

All I can say is that it's unlikely the mites are the culprits. Unless the mites arrived with WC individuals then they will be detritivores (most probably). That there are so many mites is an indication that conditions are either too wet or there is too much detritous such as uneaten prey remains in the enclosures.

I'd improve ventilation as a first call. Stagnant damp air is a killer.

Also, it depends on the age of the collections. If they are all mature sized, it could well be natural causes; it's more worrying if he is losing lots of specimens of different ages.

Quote:
"Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals" - Rau, 1933
Old 03-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Citizen

As GRB said they look like detrivorous mites.

I had a juvenile scorpion arrive caked in them. The scorpion in question needs humid conditions which mites also like. To rid the scorpion of mites I let most of the enclosure dry out whilst always making sure it had access to water and a small area of damp substrate so that the little guy didn't dehydrate and die. I also made sure I always checked the enclosure for left over bits of cricket after I fed it. The mites took a while to die off but eventually the scorpion was mite free.

For your emperors I would change the substrate and keep it as dry as is safe, be extra careful with the juveniles as they could dehydrate quickly. Keep on top of spot checking the enclosure. The mites should eventually all die off.

Good luck to your mate.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM
FrozenReptile

Assuming the scorpions are mature, I'd advise sticking them in a bone dry, sterile set up for 2-3 weeks. Keep them on kitchen roll, using plastic, sterile hides. Place a water bowl in there, changing the water daily. You'll find the scorpion is able to regulate its own moisture for the duration using the water bowl, whereas the dry, sterile set up should kill off the mites.

Its a fairly extreme solution, but thats a fairly high level of infestation, plus its safe if the scorpions are mature (the only real risk is if the scorpion decides it wants to moult whilst in the set up, hence the choice to only do this with mature specimens).

Edit, just noticed the scorpion pictured isn't mature, so this probably wouldn't be a suitable option. Stick to a dryer set up with a water bowl.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Premier Citizen

i have heard that if you put some soggy dog biscuits in a little dish then the mies will go on that and leave your animal... so remove the biscuit the next day and the mites should have left the scorp... i cant garentee you anything but it works on my beetle larvae :
stevemet likes this.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldestblood View Post

. . . . .. and how to get rid of it? What ever it is, it seems to be killing off his collection pretty fast. The eggs are clearly visable with the naked eye.
Have you thought about using >>>> Hypoaspis mites <<<< to eat the infestion ?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Egg

I thought they were mites at first, but they seemed a bit to big.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUK View Post
Have you thought about using >>>> Hypoaspis mites <<<< to eat the infestion ?
Have you ever used these Peter? I've not got a mite problem but a few of my enclosures have got a fungus gnat problem and I was wondering if these guys would eat the eggs or larvae of these impossible to get rid of, unbeleivably annoying insects?

Substrate changes, constant spot checking, drying out of enclosures, microwaving decor and spending hours crushing as many as possible has had no effect. It's only in certain enclosures, with others with exact same conditions not being affected?!?!