Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Spiders and Inverts (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/)
-   -   ID of British spiders and bite reports (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/861388-id-british-spiders-bite-reports.html)

Poxicator 21-06-2012 11:48 AM

ID of British spiders and bite reports

We're often asked for ID on British spiders which can be fun figuring out, and sometimes helps to illustrate what inverts we have in our our areas, as opposed to those of distant lands.
So, with a view to helping here is a great site for doing exactly that:
Photo Gallery - British Arachnological Society

And, for those wanting to know what kind of a bite we can expect from our British spiders (native or otherwise), here's another great site:
UK spider bites | Natural History Museum

worthy of a sticky?

Curious jay 21-06-2012 12:52 PM

Thanks Poxicator REALLY appreciate this been searching for something more detailed than uksafari just never had any luck finding anything. I think it should be a sticky, either way I've book marked the site ;)

34531 21-06-2012 02:32 PM

Fantastic : victory: SO interesting

gambitgareth 21-06-2012 02:40 PM

superlike! :no1: cheers pete (:

when i see 'which native spid is this' threads i tend to just look at Spiders Section - UK Safari this site #1 on the google search.. some nice new spids to stare at tho when i get back from work :lol2:

GRB 21-06-2012 04:49 PM

Just to add to the links Pete has added, there's a few of us within the forum familiar with various UK species so people could also use this thread to upload photos to attempt ID from.

Curious jay 21-06-2012 06:51 PM

Here's a couple of other sites I've been using apart from Uksafari:

spiders of NW Europe.
Thumbnails to identify spiders in NW_Europe

List of European spider photos (click the spiders name for pics)

**louise** 21-06-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poxicator (Post 10176627)
We're often asked for ID on British spiders which can be fun figuring out, and sometimes helps to illustrate what inverts we have in our our areas, as opposed to those of distant lands.
So, with a view to helping here is a great site for doing exactly that:
Photo Gallery - British Arachnological Society

And, for those wanting to know what kind of a bite we can expect from our British spiders (native or otherwise), here's another great site:
UK spider bites | Natural History Museum

worthy of a sticky?

Great info :2thumb:

ducks 21-06-2012 11:30 PM

that eurospiders.com is brilliant; thank you.

spinnin_tom 22-06-2012 02:20 PM

great idea for a thread, pete.
i get stuck on enough of the bloody natives lol
and it should clear up a lot of fears that Steatoda sp. are evil killers

Jonathan85 30-06-2012 01:14 AM

Hmm had no idea Stone spiders could bite,I have been finding dozens of them in my room over the last few weeks.Never even seen one before until recently.
Ive actually been keeping the largest one I found for the last two or so weeks.