dyskinetic syndrome - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 16-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Forum Citizen
Default dyskinetic syndrome

About a year ago I unfortunatly had a p metalica pass Away but never new what the cause of death was then.then stubled across a vid on youtube lastnight of a p rufilata displaying the same symtoms as my p metalica e.g little or no control over its legs and having what lookes like a fit of some sort after some research I found the symptoms relate to somthing called dyskinetic syndrome which the actual cause for is unknown but is probably caused by molds and chemicals that come into contact with tarantula

Has anyone else had experiance with this or any more information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2013, 02:41 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

I'd search this subforum, there are many thread on this issue.

Basically, until someone does some controlled work on it, if it even exists, then these conversations will just circle around the same stale information.

Quote:
"Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals" - Rau, 1933
Old 16-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Forum Citizen

Just had a look around on the forum seems like a bit of a contraversal subject its shame there is no scientific research on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2013, 03:17 PM

I really don't see the point of waiting for a scientific report to tell you why your tarantula has died. When our Ts die we all want to know why, in order to reduce the risk of it happening again.
You could check out Hubers and Lautensacker for info. And you should avoid some of the issues that have been suggested as possible culprits.
callum b likes this.

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Old 16-01-2013, 03:45 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxicator View Post
I really don't see the point of waiting for a scientific report to tell you why your tarantula has died. When our Ts die we all want to know why, in order to reduce the risk of it happening again.
You could check out Hubers and Lautensacker for info. And you should avoid some of the issues that have been suggested as possible culprits.
Until someone experiments on some animals then such threads will continue as they always have - with a list of possible culprits added to the existing list, another batch of untested hypotheses.

Frontline, areosols, water chemistry, dehydration, feeder insect contamination from other chemicals, etc.

That's the entire issue in a nutshell - someone needs to go test these things and see which, if any, cause the same symptoms, consistently.
Brandan Smith likes this.

Quote:
"Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals" - Rau, 1933
Old 16-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Forum Citizen

I will check it out just wanted to get some more info so I can try to prevent it from happening again: victory
Old 16-01-2013, 06:07 PM

@GRB, That kind of argument discards common factors that hobbyists have found to kill tarantula. Whether that death is attributed to DKS or KillerTarantulaDeathSyndrome really doesnt matter to the hobbyist, the result is the same.

Out of interest, have you:
1. experienced the symptoms that others have described as DKS ie fast, erratic behaviour?
2. have you found any reference to DKS in any written articles, from credible people?
3. have you contacted the makers of Frontline?
4. have you experienced dehydration with tarantula?

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Old 16-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Forum Citizen

It was displaying the same behaviour as other discribed and vids I have watched
Been looking for some more credible rescources online but not having much luck if I do find somthing worth reading I will post a link

The tarantula was not displaying your normal signs of dehydration
Sorry but what do u mean by frontline

Thanks
Old 16-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Frontline is a flea treatment. We contacted the makers a few yrs ago and asked about whether their treatment could have any bearing on the health of tarantula by indirect contact. They said most definitely.
So, if you have any pets that require flea treatment be cautious of inviting indirectly that treatment into your invert enclosures. The drops are much better but leave a couple of days before going near your Ts. And be mindful of stroking your pets and then do your Ts.
Dillon (Liverpool Uni) paper explains gut bacteria of locusts, and the other reference I gave is more recent on quality of foods we feed our inverts.

Old 16-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Been looking for some more credible rescources online but not having much luck if I do find somthing worth reading I will post a link
Please dont, not unless it is a link to something like a scientific paper or similar.

Tags
dyskinetic syndrome