African Giant Millipedes-Difficult? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 31-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Forum Citizen
Default African Giant Millipedes-Difficult?

Hi I am looking to get a few African giant Millies soon and had a few questions.
I hear people say they're easy, some say they're difficult. Which are they?
Also as for food, do they need rotting wood in their diet? What do you guys feed yours?
I have a little experience with a smaller tropical millipede that I have had for a few years now. But, in the US it's hard to come by the giants so I really do not want to mess up. All the info I'm finding is conflicting.

Help appreciated!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Forum Citizen

Bump...
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Hi I am looking to get a few African giant Millies soon and had a few questions.
I hear people say they're easy, some say they're difficult. Which are they?
Also as for food, do they need rotting wood in their diet? What do you guys feed yours?
I have a little experience with a smaller tropical millipede that I have had for a few years now. But, in the US it's hard to come by the giants so I really do not want to mess up. All the info I'm finding is conflicting.

Help appreciated!
Ease depends on species, the "Giant Africans" tend to be fairly forgiving. Some people get on with millis better than others it is true, but they should be fine.

Offering them a good rotting leaf litter in their substrate is needed since they can and will eat it, ideally a mix of varying stage of decomposition leaves and nicely rotting wood and bark. Oak tends to be the favourite over here for this and is my personal preference. Alongside that give them bits of fruit, veggies and cuttlebone, cork bark to hide under, bits of moss etc. I like to add dry leaves to the surface for critters like millipedes as well so they can move around in, snack on and hide among them. I also do this for my hissing cockroaches.

If you have had others for a few years that are still healthy that is a good sign.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveSnails View Post
Ease depends on species, the "Giant Africans" tend to be fairly forgiving. Some people get on with millis better than others it is true, but they should be fine.

Offering them a good rotting leaf litter in their substrate is needed since they can and will eat it, ideally a mix of varying stage of decomposition leaves and nicely rotting wood and bark. Oak tends to be the favourite over here for this and is my personal preference. Alongside that give them bits of fruit, veggies and cuttlebone, cork bark to hide under, bits of moss etc. I like to add dry leaves to the surface for critters like millipedes as well so they can move around in, snack on and hide among them. I also do this for my hissing cockroaches.

If you have had others for a few years that are still healthy that is a good sign.
Thanks for your comment!

I am planning getting A.gigas. I feel kinda bad though because I've never given my Thai rainbow rotting wood or leaves, but it appears healthy because it is often out exploring at night and its shell is very hard. It has also grown since I've had it.
I'm worried about getting rotting leaves in the winter. I'd there something that can substitute?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Thanks for your comment!

I am planning getting A.gigas. I feel kinda bad though because I've never given my Thai rainbow rotting wood or leaves, but it appears healthy because it is often out exploring at night and its shell is very hard. It has also grown since I've had it.
I'm worried about getting rotting leaves in the winter. I'd there something that can substitute?
No need to feel bad hun, you can always add them in now and it sounds like the little guy is doing well with you.

You can store leaf litter in a storage box and have a bag or box of dried leaves if you want but if you make out a nice rich substrate for them it should last ages anyway. If you get it right you can just top it up and spot clean as needed with no real need to keep throwing it out and getting new. I usually try and keep some dry ones on hand to add to the top or to any new tanks I decide to set up.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveSnails View Post
No need to feel bad hun, you can always add them in now and it sounds like the little guy is doing well with you.

You can store leaf litter in a storage box and have a bag or box of dried leaves if you want but if you make out a nice rich substrate for them it should last ages anyway. If you get it right you can just top it up and spot clean as needed with no real need to keep throwing it out and getting new. I usually try and keep some dry ones on hand to add to the top or to any new tanks I decide to set up.
Good idea! How long would you say the average substrate would last?
I am planning on adding them to a live terrarium once it's all planted. I heard you can mix aspen bedding into the substrate for them to eat, would that work? (in addition to leaves on top)