Banned members - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 10-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Default Banned members

Ive removed 3 threads concerning a banned member.
I will continue to remove such threads as RFUK does not provide a platform for banned members to advertise and nor does it allow advertising for any service which cannot be executed within RFUK. So Facebook pages, ebay sales and commercial websites aren't allowed, as per our rules:

Reptile Forums - FAQ: RFUK Specific FAQ

• NO threads advertising sites. This includes advertising facebook pages, groups and other forums.
• NO signatures that include links to other reptile forums, including facebook groups.

I'm not going to argue about the service people provide if I haven't experienced that service. But nor will I provide a platform for advertisers who repeatedly blow their top by attacking others or providing veiled threats and then remove such threads within their own Facebook page. They are effectively moderating themselves!

And, I'm not keen on seeing sales of OW tarantula which are repeatedly handled - it's quite unnecessary and in my opinion quite irresponsible.

Those who believe the ban is in place solely because he was scammed are being a little naive. Bans are put in place because of a succession of issues. It runs on a point system which initially starts with warnings and often involves pm's too. Occasionally the disruptive behaviour needs to be curtailed quicker than the point system allows but this is rare and only involves those who obviously have no intention of following the rules they signed up for when they joined RFUK.
Here is the rules concerning infractions:
Reptile Forums - FAQ: Infraction Warnings

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
NO signatures that include links to other reptile forums, including facebook groups.
Does that include The BTS and Invicta (since they both have Facebook pages/forums linked from their sites)?

selina20, Ben W, AilsaM and 2 others like this.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM

From my understanding clubs and society websites are exempt from this.

Links to places that could be considered in competition are basically riding on the success of RFUK which, in business terms, isn't acceptable.

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxicator View Post

Links to places that could be considered in competition are basically riding on the success of RFUK which, in business terms, isn't acceptable.
What is a society?
I would say many of the facebook groups would consider themselves a society - and rightly so, they self regulate, and offer advice, objectively speaking they do everything that bts does except charge - it seems futile to censor facebook groups imo - the bts will never be more of an authority than other facebook groups - largely because the bts relies on its members and publishes their work in their journals and also because current scientific papers are on open source platforms.

I think the current policy on banned members just needs to be extended to those plugging for business for banned members - as you say they are banned for a reason and frankly we dont want them in our community..

RFUK may have less active members - but it will always have active members so long as its here and the classifieds are free
stevenrudge, Mr Mister and AdamMC like this.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM

I think that reflects your own personal views on the BTS which isn't the subject we're dealing with here.

RFUK hasn't censored any Facebook pages, they just don't allow such groups to piggyback off the forum.

Under FAQ the rules state:
"If you are found to be selling for a member who has received a classified or site ban, you may receive one yourself."
stevenrudge and AdamMC like this.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Ok I appreciate that theres a different interpretation of the above quote; I was responding then without the context that it meant only censorship of 'the group or individual being advertised is run by or on behalf of a banned member'.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Ultra Citizen

When you ban a member do you ban them via email address, IP address, both or other means?
If its just email, its easy enough to make up another email & sign up again.
If by IP address, said member can go to an internet cafe, library or click into a friends internet service but that would become a right pain in the arse after an extended time if you would excuse my french.
If by other means, what other means are there? I'm not trying to get round a ban or trying to encourage others to do so, I would like to know so I can implement them on my own forum discussing paranormal matters.
PM me if you feel this is too sensitive to mention on a thread.

1.0.0 Burmese python, 1.1.2 Tarantulas, 1.0.0 Crested Gecko, 1.1.0 Cats, 0.2.0 Ferrets, 0.0.1 Goldfish, 0.2.0 Children, 0.1.0 Endlessly Nagging Wife!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:17 PM

I think you use the word censorship in the wrong context, we can't censor social media.

The rules are laid down as a guide, they don't cover every eventuality nor every interpretation. To do so would mean an extremely long set of rules that even fewer would read!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM

spidersnake, bans are put in place using the system software which relies on a number of identifiers of which Im not going to go into.
People can change the way they access the forum, but trouble makers often reveal themselves by the same actions that resulted in the initial ban.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:

Could you check your own understanding with the other mods or admin then please? Its only wording, the link in your sig is to a club, you say thats fine. The bts links to another 'rival' forum you say thats against the rules, but its fine. Facebook is a group not a club? semantics.
bbav, Mr Mister, AdamMC and 1 others like this.

Tags
banned