EU Invasive Alien Species Regulation (important) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Premier Citizen
Default EU Invasive Alien Species Regulation (important)

The draft legislation for the EU Invasive Alien Species Regulation has just gone live on the EUROPA website:

Environment: New EU Action to protect biodiversity against problematic invasive species

The proposals need to be studied in great detail but at first glance this is the bit I don’t much like…..!!

CHAPTER II
PREVENTION
Article 7

Ban on invasive alien species of Union concern

1. Species included on the list referred to in Article 4(1) shall not be intentionally:

(a) brought into or transited through the Union territory;
(b) permitted to reproduce;
(c) transported, except for the transportation of species to facilities for eradication;
(d) placed on the market;
(e) used or exchanged;
(f) kept or grown, including in contained holding;
(g) released into the environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Regular

I don't like the sound of that either. I was unable to find Article 4 section 1 what species are included ?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikDan View Post
I don't like the sound of that either. I was unable to find Article 4 section 1 what species are included ?
what ever there planing to ban im getting some male and females of them species them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher256 View Post
what ever there planing to ban im getting some male and females of them species them
Why ?

Not only will it be illegal, but you will find it almost impossible to sell the young and it will be difficult to keep thousands of inverts for their entire lives.

....Assuming this goes through ofcourse.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Why ?

Not only will it be illegal, but you will find it almost impossible to sell the young and it will be difficult to keep thousands of inverts for their entire lives.

....Assuming this goes through ofcourse.
a load of things are classified as "illegal" yet people still decide to do it, it might become illegal but people will still want them species. what if begginer species like Brachypelma's or Grammostola's get banned? it would be hard to recieve begginer spiders for people who just joined the addiction

Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher256 View Post
a load of things are classified as "illegal" yet people still decide to do it, it might become illegal but people will still want them species. what if begginer species like Brachypelma's or Grammostola's get banned? it would be hard to recieve begginer spiders for people who just joined the addiction
I don't know where you would sell them though, not here and not preloved, gumtree, facebook etc. Plus the price of the slings would skyrocket on the black market, thus, these would never be beginner T's ever again and people new to the hobby would have no clue how to find them.
Greenway likes this.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Forum Citizen

I may be wrong but i doubt tarantulas would be labelled as a problematic invasive species it says that based on research they will try to prevent species from entering the E.U that could spread and cause health issues e.g. mosquitos spreading diseases ,other species that could destroy crops and cause havoc in the wild and cause damage to eco systems but having said that they could ban t's and other arachnids to stop other species that could be 'trapped in containers' or parasites on the animals

also says that 'Special measures will be taken to deal with issues arising for traders, breeders or pet owners in the transitional period' and there are quite a few businesses i am guessing within the E.U that deal in trading exotic animals across borders surely they will have to take that into account I would like to think that this would just mean more vigorous checks would be made to prevent any unwanted stowaways from hitching a ride

Greenway likes this.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

I find the whole issue of invasive species contentious. On the one hand, yes, they can cause a lot of damage.

But on the other, invasion is a completely natural process that has happened since life began. You can argue we are speeding it up for some, or making introductions where it would normally be impossible, but I am not so convinced removing every invasive species is actually conservation rather than "preserving stasis". I'll wait and see how cautious they with the list - if it is populated with Japanese Knotweed level offenders then that'd probably be OK.

Quote:
"Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals" - Rau, 1933
Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Super Citizen

i dont get how you can be an alien on your own planet? i think graham has highlighted the strongest argument so far. i think that much of tarantula collecting happens without legal consideration anyway so i dont feel my hobby is threatened by this pseudo government - and not all black markets are dearer.
Old 20-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Citizen

There are many non native species in the UK, and I'm sure within the EU as well. Some of these are invasive, in the sense that they out-compete native species of flora and fauna, which can have a dramatic snowball effect - Signal crayfish, American Mink, Himalayan Balsam, Japanese Knotweed, Giant Hogweed, and the Killer shrimp (Which I forget the proper name of), being the main ones on the list in the UK.

I doubt if tarantulas or the associated animals, eg. crickets etc, would be classed as potentially invasive, as I wouldn't think they'd make it through a winter in the wild - but then perhaps some of them might, plus there are obviously human inhabited structures where some of these animals may thrive... hmmm.. I'll have to have a read of the article!