Argiope bruennichi - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 29-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Postaholic Member

They can't over winter here, it's too cold. The couple of places I've seen them consist of rough uncut grass with a high population of grasshoppers, easy meals for the spiders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-09-2013, 11:22 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 8
Send a message via MSN to selina20 Send a message via Yahoo to selina20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBatman View Post
I wouldn't say they are invasive so much, just picky which areas they tend to live in. Chances are they are in Portsmouth already and have been for many years. I got sent a load of these last year about this time of year, and sadly they don't seem to do well and start dying over the next few weeks...
They are an invasive species they arent native lol. You arent meant to re release an invasive species back into the wild after capture

Old 29-09-2013, 01:31 PM
ImBatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by selina20 View Post
They are an invasive species they arent native lol. You arent meant to re release an invasive species back into the wild after capture
But when does an invasive species become native? I care more about the spiders than stupid laws. They don't really do any harm and are pretty much here to stay. Just don't tell the tabloids.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Super Citizen

You aren't supposed to release any non-native species into the wild. But there is a difference between non-native species, and invasive non-native species in terms of potential danger to indigenous wildlife...

Eg. American signal crayfish, or grey squirrels spread like wild fire and bugger up a lot of things, as does himalayan balsam etc etc...

But there are other non-native species that seem to co-habit reasonably well, so are not considered a threat or such a high priority for eradication as species such as the above....

Eg, minnows are not native to Scotland, but they seem to have had little effect on surrounding ecosystems....

I'm sure there are many others I don't know of....

Anyway, point is it's generally accepted that it's not a good plan to be releasing these things as there may be very bad consequences...

Believe it or not, an animal like a non-native crayfish could theoretically have a knock on effect on animals such as killer whales in the artic regions...

These crayfish destroy freshwater habitats of atlantic salmon and prey on the eggs, and young, which not only devastates things locally, but also theoretically can in turn reduce numbers of salmon migrating to artic feeding grounds where several species may be affected by a lack of prey... Not that these species purely rely on salmon, but the point is that everything is linked together so best to try to avoid upsetting the balance... It already has been buggered up by humans so much though to be fair, but I still think it's best to try not to bugger things up anymore...
corpselight likes this.

Old 29-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
But when does an invasive species become native? I care more about the spiders than stupid laws. They don't really do any harm and are pretty much here to stay. Just don't tell the tabloids.....
I know what you mean about spiders, as I like them too, but I have to say this is one of the many laws (some of which do seem pretty stupid) that I totally agree with...

Old 29-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B Jones View Post
Are they native to the UK? Just wondered, cos I've never heard of spiders being a problem to horses in this country, but don't know a lot about that side of things....

Nice spider, are they orb weavers?
they're native to france, & other european mainland countries.
Old 29-09-2013, 04:50 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Have no idea tbh

Old 30-09-2013, 06:10 PM
No Life Member

She's webbed up and now feeding :-D

corpselight likes this.

Old 30-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Gold Star Member

incredible pic, Sel

yes, these and a few other species kicking around aren't so bad. a bad example i heard of is Pholcus phalangiodes which i was told is invasive as well...and they are actually bad, because they eat other spiders...
if this is true, then i'm probably wrong to let them settle and breed in my place lol...but i feel bad hurting any arachnid. i do try to save the other species i find, however...but if this is true, i may start feeding Pholcus to my rough green snakes...
Mark75 likes this.

"Not the imprisoned moonlight welling through the marble walls of Minas Ithil long ago, Tower of the Moon, fair and radiant in the hollow of the hills. Paler indeed than the moon ailing in some slow eclipse was the light of it now, wavering and blowing like a noisome exhalation of decay, a corpse-light, a light that illuminated nothing." - Tolkein

>>www.denythefallen.com<<

If you can't follow something as simple as Wil Wheaton's Law, i have no time for you at all.
Old 30-09-2013, 07:30 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpselight View Post
incredible pic, Sel

yes, these and a few other species kicking around aren't so bad. a bad example i heard of is Pholcus phalangiodes which i was told is invasive as well...and they are actually bad, because they eat other spiders...
if this is true, then i'm probably wrong to let them settle and breed in my place lol...but i feel bad hurting any arachnid. i do try to save the other species i find, however...but if this is true, i may start feeding Pholcus to my rough green snakes...
Mark does the pics im just the pretty one that buys stuff
Mark75 and corpselight like this.

Tags
wasp spider