busy weekend :) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 30-09-2013, 05:33 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to jadeyydoe
Default busy weekend :)

this is long so if you read it all I'll be extremely impressed

so I went up to essex this weekend, took a trip into cold blooded and came out with a new T and 3 new homes, 1 for my current T at home and 1 future new one

this is my new T, Terry sorry not very good pictures and a bit big.

I did say I'd never handle, but I had help with someone and he was out for only a couple minutes, but was nice really did help with my fear a bit, I am very pleased with him, he was in the tub with his moult so shouldn't expect another moult for a while.

ALSO when I came home I checked on Edna and shes had her first moult since I got her!!
had a huge panic because its in her hide and I couldn't see her so thought the moult was a dead body! then I saw her looks very bright and beautiful!
AND BIG!
sadly though no idea how to remove the moult as shes made a mat under her hide so when the hides picked up the mat comes with it, made moving her to a new tank easier but makes removing the moult harder.
could I just leave the moult in there or does it NEED to be removed at some point?

ALSO ALSO!
dads fish died! I know that should be bad news but it was really old about 10 years was constantly laying on its side so it was about time, the good part of it is I NOW HAVE A NEW TANK!
dad tried to suggest I use it for goldfish! PAH NO!

now of course this will need a good scrub down, dads done most of it though, the pebbles removed and all that jazz but once done what spider do you think would go best in there?
any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Postaholic Member

Terry is very cute but these do tend to be flicky, so watch the hairs

Old 30-09-2013, 05:51 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicpickle View Post
Terry is very cute but these do tend to be flicky, so watch the hairs
thank you
yeah I'm batman said they tend to be fairly flicky.
he flicked once at the shop when I asked the keeper if he could check how tempermental he is, but hasn't since, but hes a T so I expect them all to be flick hairs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Ultra Citizen

And about the moult, I've heard that molts being left in enclosures can stress out the animal.

Not sure how much truth there is to this but I've always grabbed the moult out as soon as possible just incase

RFUK POTM February 2013 - 3rd Place!!
[CENTER]
Old 30-09-2013, 06:38 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowseR21 View Post
And about the moult, I've heard that molts being left in enclosures can stress out the animal.

Not sure how much truth there is to this but I've always grabbed the moult out as soon as possible just incase
I think me trying to get it will stress her out even more, I'd literally have to put the hide she is in upside down and mess mess up the mat shes made, I am hoping she will come out one day and when shes out i can nab the hide away from her for a minute and take the moult out otherwise I can't figure out a way of getting it, did ask kheda and he said it should be fine though, I'll just leave her for now and see what happens

Old 30-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Citizen

Cold Blooded is a bad place...I went there and ended up buying something I had no intention of!

Surely an old molt has no affect on the T at all as in the wild they'd just pile up...is it a boehmei?
Old 30-09-2013, 06:48 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch636 View Post
Cold Blooded is a bad place...I went there and ended up buying something I had no intention of!

Surely an old molt has no affect on the T at all as in the wild they'd just pile up...is it a boehmei?
haha I did go there to buy one so I guess it wasn't too bad, although I did almost buy 2, it took me a stupid amount of time trying to decide between this one or a little flame knee, I wanted them both!
even made the guy get them out so I could test their temperments and went for the least moody one, which ended up just making it harder because they were both calm

ermmm I am not sure, I didn't actually ask so I have no idea

Old 30-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Super Citizen

I would say that once the spider has recovered from moulting it will remove it itself if it doesn't want it there... Or maybe eat some of it... They can get mouldy but I really wouldn't worry about it. You can always clean it out if that happens... depends if its a dry or moist enclosure either way....

that tank looks cool for a burrowing species, how big is it? Length, width, height? I'd like to know as I might get one for my E. murinus if its a suitable size?
jadeyydoe likes this.

Old 30-09-2013, 07:02 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B Jones View Post
I would say that once the spider has recovered from moulting it will remove it itself if it doesn't want it there... Or maybe eat some of it... They can get mouldy but I really wouldn't worry about it. You can always clean it out if that happens... depends if its a dry or moist enclosure either way....

that tank looks cool for a burrowing species, how big is it? Length, width, height? I'd like to know as I might get one for my E. murinus if its a suitable size?
its fairly moist, although it was dry while i went away annoying thing substrate keeps drying out within like a day or 2
will try to keep and eye out for mould but may get hard as she has a habit of blocking her door, i've moved her into a smaller home though in the hopes that she will actually stop blocking her door and hiding constantly

the tank is this Mermaid 17ltr Children's Goldfish Aquarium Kit by Marina - Pets at Home
it looks more square in the pic but the measurements seem right its about 34cm tall X 29cm width X 19cm depth

Old 30-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Citizen

Sweet, cheers for that!

If it wants to block itself in their aint much you can do but let it do its thing.... I really wouldn't worry too much about the shed skin. You could uproot the whole thing and remove it and everything would be fine, you could also leave it in, and everything will be fine, and if it gets mouldy, remove it/clean out, and everything will be fine also...

What species/how big is it? To be honest I wouldnt worry about it becoming dry as long as there is available water...

Not sure what difference the enclosure size may make except that sometimes if an enclosure is very small, the spider may see the whole thing as its burrow/retreat/hide, especially if there is no hide.... If the enclosure is too big I really cant see a problem as long as the spider wont fall and hurt itself, it has a hide, and prey can be offered near to the spider....

But yeah, I reckon if it wants to blockade itself then thats what it'll do either way...

If its quite small, its behavior may well change as it grows
jadeyydoe likes this.