how to make a ybs less frightened? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise > Turtles & Tortoise Pictures

Old 23-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Forum Citizen
Default how to make a ybs less frightened?

as you might be able to see if my sig has worked, i now have a baby ybs. i picked him up yesterday and he's settling in well, but every time i go to stand up near his tank, he scutters away so quickly.
is this just a case of leaving him for a few days to settle in properly or do i need to do something?

i'm also getting him a friend today from the same place i got him if that helps at all, i haven't kept any sliders for a few years so i feel like a bit of a newbie again

once i've got his friend, i'll take a few pictures and post them on here. they're only 3/4cm long

i should be getting a new setup for the both of them in the next few weeks so i'll post a few pics of that when the time comes

quick thing - he's a he for now because i don't know his sex :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoj89 View Post
as you might be able to see if my sig has worked, i now have a baby ybs. i picked him up yesterday and he's settling in well, but every time i go to stand up near his tank, he scutters away so quickly.
is this just a case of leaving him for a few days to settle in properly or do i need to do something?

i'm also getting him a friend today from the same place i got him if that helps at all, i haven't kept any sliders for a few years so i feel like a bit of a newbie again

once i've got his friend, i'll take a few pictures and post them on here. they're only 3/4cm long

i should be getting a new setup for the both of them in the next few weeks so i'll post a few pics of that when the time comes

quick thing - he's a he for now because i don't know his sex :P
You do realise don't you that if females these cute tiny little turtles will reach 12"+ and need an indoor pond/very large tank and an outdoor summer pond.

Turtles are happy on their own and don't need company. If you get a second and you have one of each sex then the female will have a miserable life and they will need separating plus of course any eggs should not be incubated. Two males may get on, but it is not guaranteed.

No, you can't make them less frightened. They will get used to you and see you as their food "delivery" and will need time to settle in.

You will need a good external filter - Eheim 2213, 2215 or 2217 with Alfagrog as the media; basking light; uvb; basking dock; a heater whilst they are young; plus a tank which gives the recommended 40 litres per inch of shell for the first turtle and 20 litres for the second.

Do ask any questions that you need to in the main Shelled section. Are you clear on diet etc?

Stick to just the one, if its not too late. BTW, why did you get one yesterday and then get another today?
LawrenceJMitchell likes this.
Old 23-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen P View Post
You do realise don't you that if females these cute tiny little turtles will reach 12"+ and need an indoor pond/very large tank and an outdoor summer pond.

Turtles are happy on their own and don't need company. If you get a second and you have one of each sex then the female will have a miserable life and they will need separating plus of course any eggs should not be incubated. Two males may get on, but it is not guaranteed.

No, you can't make them less frightened. They will get used to you and see you as their food "delivery" and will need time to settle in.

You will need a good external filter - Eheim 2213, 2215 or 2217 with Alfagrog as the media; basking light; uvb; basking dock; a heater whilst they are young; plus a tank which gives the recommended 40 litres per inch of shell for the first turtle and 20 litres for the second.

Do ask any questions that you need to in the main Shelled section. Are you clear on diet etc?

Stick to just the one, if its not too late. BTW, why did you get one yesterday and then get another today?
i am very aware of how big these turtles get, i've kept them before with a RES, i've got everything they need and i'm all up for separating them if need be, i wouldn't of gotten back into turtle keeping if i didn't know what the 'risks' were.

and i posted this in the wrong section, sorry MODS!!

the only reason i didn't get the second yesterday was that i'd left the house £15 short and only realised once i'd got to the pet shop (meaning i forgot the extra £15 to buy the second)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
i am very aware of how big these turtles get, i've kept them before with a RES, i've got everything they need and i'm all up for separating them if need be, i wouldn't of gotten back into turtle keeping if i didn't know what the 'risks' were.

and i posted this in the wrong section, sorry MODS!!

the only reason i didn't get the second yesterday was that i'd left the house £15 short and only realised once i'd got to the pet shop (meaning i forgot the extra £15 to buy the second)
What happened to the turtles you had previously?

Shame you couldn't perhaps have rehomed some rather than buying from a pet shop.
Old 23-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Can you buy an animal from a pet shop at 15?
Old 23-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Can you buy an animal from a pet shop at 15?
i was with my mum and as for the turtles i had before, i had to rehome them because in my old house i didn't have the space to keep them..
Old 24-10-2013, 11:38 AM

What size tank have you got/plan for the future, and which filter are you using.

Eheims are highly recommended
Old 24-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
What size tank have you got/plan for the future, and which filter are you using.

Eheims are highly recommended
i've got them in a 40 gallon right now. i want to go bigger now that i've got the space for them and i really want to make them an indoor pond for the two of them that will last a few years, do you think it'd be too early for them to go into one by christmas/new year because they're only small or is that not a problem? i'm looking on keeping them in there until they're 3/4/5 and then move them outside during summer (i'm ambitious)

i have no idea what filter i'm using right now but it's getting the job done and that's good for me i've been told that eheims are good so i might pick one up some time
Old 24-10-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
i've got them in a 40 gallon right now. i want to go bigger now that i've got the space for them and i really want to make them an indoor pond for the two of them that will last a few years, do you think it'd be too early for them to go into one by christmas/new year because they're only small or is that not a problem? i'm looking on keeping them in there until they're 3/4/5 and then move them outside during summer (i'm ambitious)

i have no idea what filter i'm using right now but it's getting the job done and that's good for me i've been told that eheims are good so i might pick one up some time
What are the dimensions of the tank if its 40 gallons - 6' long x 12" high?

What depth is the water at the moment and temperature?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to jennas

I have had my 3 ybt and a Florida soft shell for 7 years now and they are great all live together and never had any problems. One of my yellow bellies is still a bit jumpy after all these years.
One male dogue de Bordeaux
One female dogue de Bordeaux

Tags
baby , turtle , ybs , yellow bellied slider