Our First Hermann ! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise > Turtles & Tortoise Pictures

Old 30-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Hatchling
Default Our First Hermann !

Yoda (as my son named him) is our first Tortoise. We have kept snakes of various varieties over many years with my 2 older sons always having a very active interest.
My youngest son could never really get over his snake phobia but he always took an interest in Tortoises but we never got around to having one until now
He's a 2011 hatchling Origin Macedonia (having more knowledge now our next will be UK bred)

Thanks for looking !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Egg

Lovely little tort though I would change the pellets to topsoil! Congrats
Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Regular
Default cute

ARh very cute. i be getting one soon so please keep me updated with info you found. :O) x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Wizzasmum1 Send a message via MSN to Wizzasmum1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietortle View Post
Lovely little tort though I would change the pellets to topsoil! Congrats

I agree, those pellets are nasty stuff and will draw moisture away from the tortoise, causing pyramiding. I would change to soil and water it regularly
Old 12-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Regular
Default :)

When you say soil would that be any type/kind/organic from bnq or any gardening place?
I see some people use reptile wood chip is that just as bad?
Thanks
Old 12-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyhd2007 View Post
When you say soil would that be any type/kind/organic from bnq or any gardening place?
I see some people use reptile wood chip is that just as bad?
Thanks
Wood chips are not good for tortoises, except maybe refoots. Think of where a tortoise lives naturally such as here http://www.tortsmad.com/wild.htm and you will see that they lives in a rocky terrain, based on soil and alpine plants. Topsoil from B+Q or similar is fine but be careful if buying from garden cetres as it often has added fertilisers.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Egg

Look for bags of topsoil that say sterilised on it... the best stuff I've used is wickes topsoil, lovely and smooth soil. Think its about £13 for 4/5 bags of 25l soil there. I've used b&q before but found lots of glass and plastic in it, topsoil from garden centres I have always found more expensive. Some people recommend homebase but I havent tried theres as of yet.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzasmum1 View Post
I agree, those pellets are nasty stuff and will draw moisture away from the tortoise, causing pyramiding. I would change to soil and water it regularly
I got those pellets when I was getting my first tortoise... the pet shop recommended it. It was called herbiveg, rabbit grass pellets they were. They said they were good because if ingested they wouldn't cause any harm... however when I told the breeder (I was buying from) my set up she said if I wanted a tortoise from her I had to use topsoil for the reasons you said... so I chucked the whole bag of it out and got topsoil... it was awful stuff anyway.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietortle View Post
I got those pellets when I was getting my first tortoise... the pet shop recommended it. It was called herbiveg, rabbit grass pellets they were. They said they were good because if ingested they wouldn't cause any harm... however when I told the breeder (I was buying from) my set up she said if I wanted a tortoise from her I had to use topsoil for the reasons you said... so I chucked the whole bag of it out and got topsoil... it was awful stuff anyway.

Another perfect example of petshops not knowing what they are talking about. It may well not harm a rabbit or rodent eating them, but the bulk of them is alfalfa, about the highest protein grass you can get and as we all know, tortoises kidneys are not able to handle large amounts of protein. they also go mouldy very quickly when peed on causing respiratory problems - good for your breeder for sticking to their guns. I would do the same
Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Ultra Citizen

Those grass pellets are not going to be doing any favors to their little legs either. You can't go wrong with soil

Tags
hermann , tortoise