Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys is it possible to uses 1 thermostat on 4 tanks it is a stack system one on top of each other and if so what tank would u place your censor of the thermostat thx ?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Depends what heat supply your using and and what type of thermostat.

Heat mats with mat stat - mat stat can take upto 100w so if your heat mats total less than 100w then go ahead.

Doesn't matter which tank your probe goes in, as you want them all to be the same temp.
:)

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Surely the top tank would be the warmest (what with heat rising) so you wouldnt want the sensor in there as the rest of the tanks would be potentially too cold.

Same as with putting the sensor in the bottom tank, it would potentially make the top tank too warm?

All I say is that if you try it, you need to keep a close eye on the temperature differences, cant see how it could work properly though.

If not and you are budgetting, maybe 2 thermostats, one for the top 2 and one for the bottom 2 could work?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
jennababe said:
Hi guys is it possible to uses 1 thermostat on 4 tanks it is a stack system one on top of each other and if so what tank would u place your censor of the thermostat thx ?
In a word no, I have a stack and it would be a nightmare to regulate all four vivs with one stat.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
if i was you i would buy two habistat twin stats (just over £40 each) and then you will have a single dial for each viv and a probe in each of them which means full control!

i have a stack of 3 and currently only the middle and top units running and i have set the top viv slightly lower to maintain desired temp! but saying that i have insulated each layer with polystrene to enable better heat control for each viv, otherwise you would have to monitor and fiddle the temps to suit

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
if i was you i would buy two habistat twin stats (just over £40 each) and then you will have a single dial for each viv and a probe in each of them which means full control!

i have a stack of 3 and currently only the middle and top units running and i have set the top viv slightly lower to maintain desired temp! but saying that i have insulated each layer with polystrene to enable better heat control for each viv, otherwise you would have to monitor and fiddle the temps to suit

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Ok we got the point Ian :lol: :lol: But yeah I use a twin stat for my stacks etc too... theyre a great money saver... but it all depends on what heating you're using.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
i have absolutely no idea how that happened :lol: must be how trice got his post count in a such a short period of time :wink: and do you really really really get the point :lol:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
lol, well if she didnt get it 1st or 2nd time, she surely did 3rd lol.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I just browzed past it.. thought you were trying to get attention :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As you're only using mats it won't be much of a problem as they don't heat the air much, so the lower vivs aren't going to be heating the upper vivs. Just don't go over the max load of the stat.
The top vivs will be a bit warmer anyway due to warm air in the room rising - only by a degree or so. The mats shouldn't make it any worse.

If you had ceramics/bulbs in there then it would be a problem.

As for which viv to put the sensor in - I'd either put it in with the snake that's least likely to move/dislodge it, or in the bottom one as it will be the first one in which the temps will drop as the air cools.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
yeah how the hell has trice got such a huge post count?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have 1 thermo stat controlling 2 heat strips, should be ok just check the manufactures booklet with the thermo stat or whatever.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
ok just to get this rite in my head ....

in theory you could use a three way gang ( gang to stat ) and run three heat mats in tandem ( or is that triodem lol ) from gang way :?:

take care

oh BTW gotta new snakie lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts