Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get your thoughts and feedback with regards to this tank I completed a few days ago.

It was originally just a spare tank I bought from a friend for £25 and it's been gathering dust in the loft for a couple of months but this weekend I finally got around to actually setting it up. When I started out, I admittedly wasn't entirely sure what I was going to keep in there -- I was leaning more towards the amphibian side of things originally, as I had my heart set on having a waterfall (they're so soothing! And so beneficial when it comes to add humidity, since I don't ever really intend on buying an automatic mister) - but, after stepping back and doing a little research, I decided to go ahead and start designing a tank for an emerald swift.

A bit of foam and silicone later, here's the more-or-less completed tank:

It was so much fun to build! Decided to go with the whole less-is-more-approach, since I usually design my tanks to have a full background and partially enclosed sides.

The plants are fairly basic, since they're all cuttings from some of my other tanks. I put in some creeping fig, some baby tears:

A parlour palm and a bunch of moss, which covers pretty much the entirety of the back wall and the expanding foam. It's all attached to and growing over hygrolon, which is just amazing stuff. It's the best background for growing mosses I've ever used:

That's a mixture of java moss and a couple of other mosses that've been steadily growing in my other tanks but I have absolutely no idea what variety they are. There's also a fittonia and, I hesitate to say it... I think it's a golden pothos? I can't really remember the exact species. Should look awesome when it's all grown in.

I've only got a grow light on there at the moment with a 6500k bulb for the plants. I'll be looking into getting a uvb bulb for a spot lamp to get the temps up and to set up a basking spot. There's also a heat mat underneath the tank that helps to keep temps up at about 22C at night but it's mostly off during the day thanks to this gorgeous weather we're having.

I'm also looking for a nice piece of wood to put at the front of the tank to create a bit more vertical space. If you have any suggestions or ideas on that front, send me links!

Thanks for looking!

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
This is a highly adapted forest species that needs lots of space, length to run to be precise,

You should seek to upgrade to a much bigger system for a pair or trio of these stunning livebearers.

I would use a 3'long, x2'deep, x3' high myself

Great species! one of my fav's.

Reactions: Tarron

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I've got to agree with John, a 12x12x18 is barely suitable for anything, let along a Swift.

Unfortunately I can't see the images at the moment so can't comment on the actual build.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Aw, now I'm all confused! All the reading I've done and the caresheets I've looked at have consistently said that they're an arboreal species who spend the majority of their time climbing around and that a 10 gallon tank would be adequate space for an individual. Given that this tank's near enough 12 gallons, I assumed it'd be fine for a single male.

Ah well, maybe for my next tank then. Back to the drawing board!

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
I wrote a magazine feature for this species a while ago. if you send me your email address i can send you a PDF of it if you wish.

John,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.