Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to breed an australian water dragon with a chinese water dragon ??????

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
possible? probably
should it be done? no!

its just as bad as mixing species, its like you and a ape

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I wouldn't know... they're both from the same genus (Physignathus) but I don't know whether or not they could produce viable young.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'd imagine in the wild they probably come across each other so they might mate, but then again there on 2 different countries, SCRUB THIS POST :lol2:

Fraser

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I'd imagine in the wild they probably come across each other so they might mate, but then again there on 2 different countries, SCRUB THIS POST :lol2:

Fraser
LMAO!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can house them together so i just wonderd

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
who gave you that idea?

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
you can house them together so i just wonderd
You can house a lot of things together (as in put them in the same cage), but that doesn't mean it's adviseable to let them coexist...

Back to the original question, I don't know how far removed from each other they are, so it would be hard to guess at how successful hybridisations would be...

Some very similar looking species are unable to produce viable hybrids, whilst some closely-related but fairly different-looking ones can. I'd be interested to know if it's been done anywhere.

·
Registered
617 Posts
U could call the baby's australianese water dragons, ooo ooo make your'e own specias, haha, im kiddin, im sure theres a reason y no1 mixes species like that :hmm:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
and its not really advisable to house them together either although some people think its fine as they are both semi-arboreal lizards that live near water,and therefore think they will be fine.in my opinion mixing these two species would not be fair to either animal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts