Reptile Forums banner

18 year old african fat tail gecko gone blind?

517 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  uccellolee 
#1 ·
hi guys

So my old girl has been acting differently the last few months, and I believe that she has now gone completely blind, her irises have white dots what i assume are cataracts, and they have a very hard to see blue sheen to them, especially in the iris.

She still eats her meals but I do have to tong feed her everything.

She doesn't keep her weight on very well anymore but she is still active and runs over to me when the door gets opened.

Her main noticable behaviour changes are circling after eating, shaking her back leg and her tail, then trying to climb the glass door and laying out in the middle of the open area, instead of hiding away in her hides.

I haven't moved her tank around as being assumed blind she probably would find it difficult to find her water and hides.

She poops fine too x

Do you think these changes and the lack of weight retention are signs of her getting too old or just because she is blind?

Can she live happily blind if she's eating and pooping fine? I don't want her feeling super stressed out all the time.

Any advice is appreciated x

Leanne and glory the geck x

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.