Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we brought Cheetoh home last night (Tangerine Gecko) and just wanted to check, how long would it normally be before they decide to eat.. It was all home and in by 2pm and the guy at the shop said it had been fed this morning (to be fair, when i picked it up, there were several hoppers in the tank)

i know we leave it to settle in and not stress it too much by handling for a few days but i'm conscious it still needs to eat. (i havent looked to see if its a boy or girl yet - hence the 'it'....)

I offered some mealworms last night and a hopper this morning but its just watching it walk around and doesn't seem interested in the slightest. Should i leave it for a day or so before introducing anything into the viv.... i took the mealworms out after 10 minutes cos they were crawling around all over the place and under the paper towel

background
its gone from 1.5x1.5x1.5 (ish) shop display tank
was on beech chips with a HUGE water bowl and 1 hide and a piece of bark and no calcium dish
no UV

to
3x1.5x1.5
3 hides - 1 hot, 1 cold, 1 moist (in middle) - seems to like it in there
gecko dish with water and calcium powder
plants, huge piece of wood, 3D background
paper towel substrate.
temp is sitting at 91-93 in hot end on paper towel
24" UV lamp
blue 15W night lamp on for couple hours after uv goes off.

im guessing its just stressed etc so dont know whether to keep offering food if its just gonna be stroppy and not take it for a couple of days.

Its tended to spend most of its time in the cold end since we got it home

Its funny; you read up about everything that you're meant to do and think about everything that you will do but as soon as that little bundle gets home - you're buggered.. Then you start worrying!

As always advice - very much appreciated... :blush:

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
How old is the gecko? If it is a juvenile or adult it can go on a loose substrate such as sand or a sand/soil mix. Do not put back on wood chips they are potentially lethal. Whilst they can take time to settle you can still offer food just don't put loads in as if they don't get eaten they will just crawl all over. Just offer small amounts until it starts to eat properly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not entirely sure on the age front... Still hasn't eaten since yesterday morning and still sitting in cold hide.. Serious strop going on so. I'm thinking its a girl.. At a guess I'd say its about 4 inches so maybe 4 months ish....

Now, forgive. Me for being simple but I'm wanting to out it. On a soil/sand based substrate and I've seen a few on instagram where the soil is dark and they're referring to eco earth.... Now, the only one I can find is coconut based fibre and I'm pretty sure that's not right.
So, for the sake of me being dumb, can someone tell. Me what it is or whether I should just go earth mix arid from arcadia...
Or... Grab top soil and play sand and mix 60/40....

Oh, and I've taken all food out as the 1 hopper was probably starving and the mealworm were going all under the paper towel... Will offer again tomorrow morning....

I found out today too that Northampton reptile centre have their Leo's on beech chips... :whistling2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.