Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i just got my baby bearded dragon 2 days ago. He's eating around 6-8 3rd Hoppers per day.

Basically i live at my mums most of the time but i got to my dads a fair bit.
If i had the 2 vivs which are the same and have everything the same in their would i be able to move it between my moms or dads without causing stress?
I dont know his sex and it was born on the 21st April.

Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi, i just got my baby bearded dragon 2 days ago. He's eating around 6-8 3rd Hoppers per day.

Basically i live at my mums most of the time but i got to my dads a fair bit.
If i had the 2 vivs which are the same and have everything the same in their would i be able to move it between my moms or dads without causing stress?
I dont know his sex and it was born on the 21st April.

Thanks
The journey is probably what would stress him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The journey is about 10-15 mins by walking. I normally go out in the garden with him for that time.Would the diff vivs stress him though?

·
Registered
479 Posts
The journey is about 10-15 mins by walking. I normally go out in the garden with him for that time.Would the diff vivs stress him though?
If it has the same layout and the background is the same, I see no problem with it. But, to be on the safe side just keep an eye on him and see if he gets stressed. Lizards adapt and he will get used to it.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
there's a fair bit more to think about first.

Firstly, you have a 39 day old bearded dragon that you've only had for two days.

Is it eating 6 - 8 hoppers a day because that's what you feed it, or are you offering more and it's only eating 6 - 8? a baby beardie should be stuffing its face 2 / 3 times a day. Usually with as much as it can eat in 10 minutes each time.
If it's only eating 6 - 8 through choice then it's because it's getting used to its new surroundings, so you shouldn't be taking it outside yet. You really need to give it time to settle in before you start handling regularly. They often go off their food for a while after moving, which is why you need to let them settle.

If you're going to take it to your dads, give it at least a few weeks of getting used to its current viv and make sure your dad turns the heating on before you go - so the viv is warm when you put it in.

Your beardie will tell you itself if it doesn't like moving as it'll stop eating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it still has relocation stress.I only take him out of his viv 2-3 times a day max. i hand feed him at the moment with hoppers. I can tell he doesent want any more because he turns his head away and closes his eyes.ill try feeding it again after about 5 mins, he normally still doesent want any.

It will still be a few weeks maybe months till i get a new viv and stuff and this was just making me wonder.

The breeder i got it from owns a pet shot and is a licenced breeder. She said i should try and handle it quite a few times to make it used to me.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah it still has relocation stress.I only take him out of his viv 2-3 times a day max. i hand feed him at the moment with hoppers. I can tell he doesent want any more because he turns his head away and closes his eyes.ill try feeding it again after about 5 mins, he normally still doesent want any.

It will still be a few weeks maybe months till i get a new viv and stuff and this was just making me wonder.

The breeder i got it from owns a pet shot and is a licenced breeder. She said i should try and handle it quite a few times to make it used to me.

I'm sure she meant handle it a lot once its settled in which will usually take a week or so.

As for moving it between your mums & dads I personally wouldnt do it. Your mum & dad might have different ambient room temperatures, different smells, different noises & it can see through the glass so it'll see the whole room has changed. All these changes are likely to stress him out.

·
Registered
857 Posts
i agree with spidersnake. My beardie went of his food when i mearly moved his viv to the other side of the same room. Viv temps were same everything in it was same, but the view from within the viv had changed.

Also as regards to handling. I bought mine as a youngster and didn't handle at all for two weeks while it settled in. Kept offering food untill it started eating properly. then started handling. Even now i do no have my beardie out that often. I let him out to run around the house for a while till hes had enough.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I'd give him a week or two to settle and stop with the hand feeding, that's not something you want to fall into really. You shouldn't need to hand feed a young dragon really.

You'll just have to see how the viv exchanging goes, I personally don't see it as an issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You shouldn't need to hand feed a young dragon really.
I dont really need to but i prefer to. I put waxworms in a feeding bowl but i only feed him hoppers by hand, bugs and stuff freak me out a little, and i cant stand crickets. Is it ok to feed him finely chopped red peppers? A person at [email protected] told me it would be ok but im not too sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts