Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently moved the tank, and installed a heat lamp as the temp on the warm side of the tank would be barely reaching 80. Now it's at 90 most of the day. I was only using a heatmat before this.

Toe has just shed his/her skin. and Mr.Grumpy a few weeks before. At first i thought nothing of Toe's thin tail until i noticed they were both effected. The tails are less than half the "fattness" they were when i bought them before christmas.

Could the new source of heat be causing them not to eat? They do seem to be paying attention to the crickets, but not eating as much.

I am in the process of sorting out a damp box for them, does anyone thnk this might help?

Many thanks in advanced.

Mott

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi do you have the light stated,i think a mat and stat is the best way to go with leos personally,what are you feeding them on have you tried different things,and what substrate are they on.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
few questions ~
is it a glass tank or wooden viv? where are you measuring the temps?
~ the substrate temp at the hot end is more important then the air temp, what are you using to measure the temps with? what substrate are they on ~ plus if loose how deep is it?
would personally say that losing half their tail fat/width since christmas isn't good ~ have they had a fecal test done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for our quick response.

Predator. There is a stat about halfway up the wall of the tank on the warm side. I currently use calcium sand but i am looking into an alternative.
They mostly eat crickets, have also fed them wax worms (which they love) and meal worms - which i have in the tank now to see if that encourages feeding.

Sleepy D. Its a glass tank. 2 stats measuring the temps, one in cold side, one in warm. They are on calcium sand, which is about 10mm deep over the heat mat.

Would you suggest removing the heat lamp (which is above the heat mat) as this is the newest addition to the tank? Although the temp drops quite alot. Just reaching 80 max.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
remove the calcium sand, it is more likely to cause impaction (blocked intestines) which can kill them, and could be a reason for weight loss. i'd recoment lino as a substrate, nothing loose, if you wish to use sand, use course grade play sand. heat for leos should be provided from underneither them, there is no requirement for a heat lamp (they do not bask). you must use a thermostat to regulate temps, and the sensor should be on the floor as this is the most important temp, as this is what the leos are getting into their bellies.

as said before, you should really get them to a reptile speciallist vet as they need to have a fecal test done to see if they have any parasites, there is one in peterborough and one in stamford, but she is away at the mo.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Have you got a stat?You've mentioned what appear to be thermometers but not a stat?

Size of heatmat and size of viv?

Get rid of the calcium sand too!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for all your help.

Tomorrow I will hopefully recieve a call from a local vets to see if they can help me. Kirsten, the stamford vet is also the one in my village - typical timing. I'm waiting to hear back from Bourne.

At the weekend I'm going to pick up everything you guys have mentioned and ignore everything the garden centre people told me. I'm sorry for the confusing answers with the thermostat and thermometer, I've been a little upset dashing back and forth from work to read your replies.

My shopping list:

Alternative substrate - NOT calcium sand :)
ThermoSTAT - thanks for pointing that out Quadrapop :)
Fecal test - do you have any details for the vets in Peterborough Kirsten?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
i would recommend vets def as everything except the calci sand is spot on! My leos have a heat mat and a spot light for twelve hours and temps hit 92 max ever in the middle of the day and drop to 80 at night the only difference i can see is the substrate, i use a clay colour vinyl tiling from b n q!

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Thank you so much for all your help.

Tomorrow I will hopefully recieve a call from a local vets to see if they can help me. Kirsten, the stamford vet is also the one in my village - typical timing. I'm waiting to hear back from Bourne.

At the weekend I'm going to pick up everything you guys have mentioned and ignore everything the garden centre people told me. I'm sorry for the confusing answers with the thermostat and thermometer, I've been a little upset dashing back and forth from work to read your replies.

My shopping list:

Alternative substrate - NOT calcium sand :)
ThermoSTAT - thanks for pointing that out Quadrapop :)
Fecal test - do you have any details for the vets in Peterborough Kirsten?
i don't sorry, i know the rep vet who is away is back in weeks time, so if you booked an appointment for then, that should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kirsten - the first vets I tried in peterborough deal with lizards so I'm booked in for saturday afternoon :)

Will let you know...

Thank you again. And everyone else.

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
I agree with all the advice given so far. Regarding your temperature not getting above 80 with the heat mat this may be fixable allowing you to continue with the mat. A heat mat is by far the best way of giving your Leo heat, it closest resembles the way they would get heat in the wild, ie from warm rocks.
You refer to your 'tank' in your set up so I am assuming its a glass tank. If you place a polystyrene tile under the heatmat, so the mat is sandwiched between the glass and the tank you should find the mat becomes more efficient.Heat is lost rapidly when using a glass tank unless something is used to prevent it. The tile will help channel the heat upwards into the tank. This will even work if your mat for some reason is inside the tank. In this instance place the tile directly under the glass beneath the area of the heatmat.
Personally I cover the whole underside of my glass tanks with polystyrene.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news.

Vet's went well. Although he used a needle and I can't stand the things!

Calci-sand is gone and i've got a thermostat plugged in. heat lamp is out of he tank now too and they're eating more already :)

thank you everyone for your help. From me and the little ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Vet said what I'd already realised anyway, the heatlamp was far too much for them.

He gave them a calcium boost and some antibiotics.

I'm still a little woried about their weight but only time will tell...

·
Registered
401 Posts
good luck, i have noticed with leos that they are generally easy to keep but when one gets ill its quite hard to nurse them back to health. just keepfeeding them up! id get some wax worms to tempt their appitie! they are fed on sweet stuff like honey so the geckos love em and they are high in fat, dont forget to dip in calicium!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I'm still a little woried about their weight but only time will tell...
fingers crossed with good care and well gutloaded livefood (I'd personally try and avoid waxxies though) they'll put the weight back on now that they're eating : victory:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts