Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are these? they are located by where the snake will go to toilet and i dont have a clue what they are!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'll assume it's a python or boa... They are spurs, what's left of legs.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
they are the reminence of hind legs from the evolution process and are attached to whats left on the pelvis(though this is under scrutiny). they are said to stimulate the females during mating

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Nothing, as far as I'm aware. It's an evolution thing. Lizard had legs, legs stopped being used, lizard becomes snake, and the spurs are all that is left.

Dunno if they have any use during mating, I know males are normally larger.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Deano said:
Nothing, as far as I'm aware. It's an evolution thing. Lizard had legs, legs stopped being used, lizard becomes snake, and the spurs are all that is left.

Dunno if they have any use during mating, I know males are normally larger.
just editiong my post while you were typing yours. I think they are used for stimulation during mating

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I am not sure if my royal has a problem, but one of her spurs is shorted than the other, and looks more recessed than the other. It looks odd, by comparison, but is it anything t worry about? I mean, is the area around the spur a common site of infection??

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Never knew about these and had a look on mine and he didn't apper to have any.

Do they come with age, or do not all snakes have them????

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Spurs:
AKA Vestigial legs, tickling spurs.

Larger on males as the male uses them to "tickle" the female before breeding with her.
Often the spurs on females are so small they are hard to spot as they lie recessed into the surrounding scales.

You do not have to pop a snake to see them as they are on the outside unlike the hemipenal structure which is on the inside and everts when a snake is popped.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I forgot to mention, using spurs as a way to sex an animal is unreliable at best. Often the spurs don't shed properly and the entire structure comes of rather than just the old skin.
Many snakes have one or both missing as a result of them falling off. Also, while males are usually larger this is not a hard and fast rule, there are exceptions to this rule.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Well bugger me I though you could only see them once popped! I've never noticed them on any of my snakes :oops:

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
reticulatus said:
I forgot to mention, using spurs as a way to sex an animal is unreliable at best. Often the spurs don't shed properly and the entire structure comes of rather than just the old skin.
Many snakes have one or both missing as a result of them falling off. Also, while males are usually larger this is not a hard and fast rule, there are exceptions to this rule.
thanks for the info...i was starting to doubt i had a female royal there, based on the spurs! I wonder if hers will fall off...they look silly. And, im still worried that they can harbour infection

·
Registered
990 Posts
Spurs

The spurs on snakes are used for male to female mating. If you've ever seen one of the species of python or boa, that has large spurs, mating then you'll realise how agressive it can be. The male uses them to get the female's vent into a position where he can slip her a length. They can also be used in male to male combat where they rip each other to shreds. I have seen photos of snakes with very deep multiple wounds from this. So everybody take care to watch any male snakes housed together particularly during brumation, or at certain times of year, or when a female is present.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts