Reptile Forums banner

How much do your 2008 baby royals weigh?

• I have one or more less than 100 grams

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I have one or more between 100-199 grams

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • I have one or more between 200-299 grams

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I have one or more between 300-399 grams

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I have one or more between 400-499 grams

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I have one or more between 500-599 grams

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • I have one or more between 600-699 grams

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I have one or more between 700-799 grams

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I have one or more between 800-899 grams

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I have one or more between 900-999 grams

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I have one or more over 1000 grams

Votes: 4 6.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curiosity as to where my babies fit compared to other babies hatched in 2008... so, if you don't mind, I'd love to know what your 2008 baby royals weigh.

If you want to please DO say what you're feeding and how often, too - and your source, if you think it's made a difference to the current weight of your animals.

·
Registered
209 Posts
6. One or more royals are 500-599 grams

Male 2008 approx July currently feeding on medium rat weeners.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Our June 08 was 110g when we bought him 3 weeks ago, he has had one feed with us and no poo so haven't had a chance to weigh him yet.
He was on medium mice, gonna move him up a size when we feed him tomorrow.
Bit of a noob question but what is next up from medium/large mice?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Our June 08 was 110g when we bought him 3 weeks ago, he has had one feed with us and no poo so haven't had a chance to weigh him yet.
He was on medium mice, gonna move him up a size when we feed him tomorrow.
Bit of a noob question but what is next up from medium/large mice?
Personally I would buy a large mouse and a small weener rat. Try the weener rat and if he can't eat it stick to mice for a while.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
i have two 08 royals,

march 08 - 363g
other royal, dont know exact age, but she is CB 08, and we got her in the summer and she was 4 months old, so maybe april, may 08 - 717g

i know that makes no sense, but my older royal has always been a better feeder!

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't weighed all of mine, but here's a sample:

May 08 CF female 350g
June 08 butter female 520g
July 08 pastel female 430g
July 08 het pied female 640g
August 08 albino female 230g
August 08 albino male 400g
August 08 pied male 260g (currently off feed)
August 08 mojave female 360g
August 08 ghost female 340g

I feed somewhat irregularly, although it's generally seven days between feeds. Sometimes as little as five, sometimes as much as fourteen days. I must admit I feed what I have handy - whether that be fresh-killed rats from the breeder colony or defrost medium/large mice or weaner rats from the freezer.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
Ours are almost all between 200-300 apart from the fire, she is 350i ish.
ours are fed once a week, mostly on mice at the moment.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
We have one female normal royal, born Nov. 08. She is 196g.

She was on small mice when we got her, and is on her 6th feed since we got her tonight and is now on large mice. She was being fed every 5 days, but now she is on large mice, we'll move her to 7 days.

Hopefully we'll get her onto rats soonish, but we'll prbobly always give her the odd mouse.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
i cant believe the variation between the snakes, thats amazing that there is the one above, born in november and already almost 200g, and a june 08 thats only 110g. how random! i probably give mice/rats that are a bit small cos my OH always worries about giving them bigger ones, even though i tell him they can have a size around the girth of their body, :lol2: if it was up to me i would give bigger, and im sure my smaller royal would be a better weight now!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
im surprised that i seemed to have the only royal on that list over 700g, cos sometimes she only eats once a month, and when we feed her she only ever takes one, and no bigger than her girth, usually smaller. i fought she was underweight too and get worried when she doesnt eat for a few weeks!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
sorry wasnt boasting or anything, just pleased they were both good weights compared to others cos i worry they are not big enough and i want them to grow, :blush: into big, fat pythons! well not really fat, just big and healthy!

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
My little guy was a problem feeder when he hatched and had to be assist fed for a few feeds. He is now striking so gonna move him up food sizes gradually!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
mine range from 180g to 500 ish

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My little guy was a problem feeder when he hatched and had to be assist fed for a few feeds. He is now striking so gonna move him up food sizes gradually!
one of my 08 assist feeders is now pounding rat weaners and is my biggest 08

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im surprised that i seemed to have the only royal on that list over 700g, cos sometimes she only eats once a month, and when we feed her she only ever takes one, and no bigger than her girth, usually smaller. i fought she was underweight too and get worried when she doesnt eat for a few weeks!
Obviously she's just going to be a big one. What do you feed, fresh-killed or defrost? Although I haven't made a proper study of it (and intend to possibly next year) I have the feeling my fresh-killed eaters get more nutrition from their food than the defrost eaters.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brilliant photos (and that is an absolutely drop-dead-gorgeous butter!) - have you filled in the poll with your snakes' weights?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts