Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I would like to start building my own wooden vivs, and will start with some 2x2x2 to house sindle leo's in :2thumb:

Anyone know roughly how much they will be to make if I get most of the stuff, wood etc from b&Q.......just windering as if it only saves a couple of quid I may as well buy them already made up......

cheers :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
Ah yeah, i supose. But it would look nice to have a low 'roof'. It doesnt matter weather it is 1' or 15". they will always be on the ground. SO you would be looking into thin air.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm no Mr.DIY, but no offence to viv builders, but for such small vivs they can't be that hard to build :)....or can they :(

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to add, when screwing pieces together, especially 1st two bits, is there an easy way to do it, ie. use something specific to hold in place etc

cheers :)

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I've got some picture frame clamps. Like this
Corner Clamp - 95W150
They are perfect for holding the wood steady while it's drilled. I clamp two pieces in place dry, 1 on each side, and pre-drill all the screw holes. I then relax one on the sides and apply aquarium sealant on the cut edge before putting it back together and screwing tight. It should all meet up nicely when you do the fourth joint.
You can get an 8'board cut by B&Q, and you'll even have enough left over for a plinth for the front (and back).
Seal all the joints with aquarium sealant
The most expensive bit might well be the two pieces of glass for the doors.

If you can find a good shop bought viv that has everything you want you might as well buy it, but I like to make my own. It's all part of the fun.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thought it was supposed to be MUCH cheaper to build your own aswell as part of the fun :) LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts