Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a 2ft longx 3 tallx 2 viv, and just wanted to know what sort of lizard you guys would recommend. I've currently got 2 beardies, 2 leos, 2 fat tails, 2 Whites tree frogs, and a couple of turtles (rescued in the hope i could find a good home for them, which they are moving to tomorrow). I've already posted in the snake section as to what snakes would be recommended, but I really do prefer lizards. I've been looking a little into chameleons, but I'm not sure. Would love an Iguana (in a bigger enclosure obviously) but I haven't got the money. Look foward to any responses

Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
My brother just got a Red Tegu, which is ok but I never really liked them untill I saw the black and white tegus, why not have a look at them?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they get too big for that size viv

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
How about a colony of some sort of arboreal gecko? Or if it coulod be waterproofed it may be suitable for chinese water dragons? I only keep snakes so cant think of much really!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
to small for wd's :D
maybe a cham it would be ok for or even some kinds of gecko's not the normal leo's but marbled or day
manda xx

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
He said on the snake thread it could be upgraded as the snake grew, I assume its the same if you got a lizard? Wouldnt be too small for young wds.

I wouldnt advise a cham unless you could modify it to allow plenty of ventilation, that's the main concern with chams - is this a possibility Mike?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
yes add lots of vents and things
i wasnt having a go pendlehog i havant seen the snake thread as i dont go on there
a baby wd would be fine but it would have to be updated asap idealy
manda xx

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Nah I know Manda, just trying to clarify why I said a wd would be ok. Its just hard to imply tone of voice when you're typing!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
yes isnt it just lol but yer wd's make great pets if you have the time to sort them out i would either go with the wd's and update later on or a cham and add loads of vents even some mesh maybe
manda xx

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bacially I have a floor space for the viv of 3x2 ft. I can go as high (within reason) as need. Any Lizards you guys can recommend. Preferably, ones that could stay in this viv for at least 2 years. Sorta looking into more friendly lizards, maybe a blue tongued skink. Is that viv big enough?

If not any suggestions would be cool. The thing is i can upgrade if necessary, but i don't particuarly want to. As i'm sorta planning an iggie growout tank, and then fixing up my old lounge into an iggie room (12lx10dx8h feet)

any feedback appreciated

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Skinks are a nice idea, blue tongues are generally very friendly and you certainly wouldnt have to upgrade from a 3ft x 2ft. I rather like them myself actually!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Pair or trio of collard lizards for a year or so i would have though.
Any of the swifts as most stay very small.
Trio of day geckos, maybe not the giants.
Trio of any arboreal gecko for that matter.
Any chameleon
Not sure about sizes for a juvi monkey tail skink? might be worth looking into.
3 or 4 Green anoles or similar species.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah thats cool. I would've had a skink, but i ended up with beardies instead, not that i mind. Seems like a skink is the most likely inhabitant now

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I wouldn't put a Cham in there... A box cage isn't good for Cham's plus they need a little more height than 3 ft and probably more floor space... mines in a 2.5ft * 1.5ft * 4ft flexarium and I wouldn't go smaller than that.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
welshgaz, just saying that 2x2 ft floor space is more than 1.5x2.5. and as i said i can go as high as needed. plus ina box viv i can add as much ventilation as needed. cheers anyway though.

Like i said earlier the blue tongue is very likely now. So next thing is, any little tips anyone can recommend. I've got all the temp, feeding etc requirements. cheers

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Yeah I worked that out when I put up the post! Still using wood for cham's I personally don't thinks a good idea, It will warp given the amount of water. You need at least two sides fully ventilated anyhow.

Cham's rule though over skinks! Mine scared away a Monkey Tail just by puffing up at him!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Arn't BT Skinks terrestrial? Looking about on forums and sites, i have seen dimenstions for BT's about 4x2x2. Would the floor space be enough for a blue tounge...

I was thinking of crested gecko's myself, They are gorgous Geckos. Not that i have had any, but you could have 1 or maybe too in the vivarium the way it is now. Probably more ventialtion, but there are amazing to watch. Ok, maybe i just want them :p But yeah, Im just looking out for you mate, But im not that knowledgeable about Skinks. But i would of thought they would of need floor space or a beardie or two you know?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I also thought blue tongues needed a larger area and I believe they are terrestorial.
Having said that, I have only seen fairly large specimens and for all i know they may remain pretty ickle for a couple years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts