Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my beardies is having its leg ampitated tonight at the vets and I think theres some on here with 3 legged beardies. Can someone help me with how I will have to change the viv to help her get around ok. Will I have to lower the basking spots and hand feed her?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Hi i had a 3 legged, half tail beardie i rescued. Her leg was operated on twice. she recovered 100% and lives a normal life.
Day after op she was a bit wobbly and wasnt interested in food but 2nd day she ate like a pig like usual. you will be suprised how well they can adjust in a short time. if you are worried put the crix in the fridge to slow them down for a bit and you could offer he/she by tweezers if they take food like that. my viv for the 1 i had was not altered. she could climb, run and jump still. Just make sure everything is clean and if you have it on a substrate take it off to newspaper untill leg heals and stitches desolve. Good luck :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Just been on the phone to the vet and shes having her leg done right now so fingers crossed it all goes well. :)

Shes going in a viv on her own when she comes home so I will remove all the higher basking logs today and gradually add them back as her confidence grows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
aww i'm sorry to hear about the accident Maxine, Wes told me about it today, stupid little cricket :x thats why i hate them so much.

which little guy was it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,958 Posts
I agree with Jo and purejurassic - my big gal has had 3 legs since she was a baby and it doesnt stop her motoring round her viv! I find her problems arise cos she has only got one claw left on her other front leg and cant grab anything so heights are a no no in her viv incase she falls. If youre beardie's other front leg is ok then you shouldnt have any probs.

Good luck for the op hope shes ok :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neonius said:
which little guy was it?
It was little spindle the smallest one. :(

Anyway all went well with the op and shes back home resting in a viv in the bedroom for now. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,411 Posts
aaaaaaaw wat happened for them to have to amputate her leg??

and yea gota agree she is more than likely to make a full recovery!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crickets had been hiding in the little holes of the cork bark and decided to take a night time walk and nibble her leg so when i found her in the morning it was hanging off :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
o wow crickets can do that....damn i better inspect my guys cage each night, usally one or two hide and i just leave it in there incase he wants a midnight snack...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
tombraider said:
Crickets had been hiding in the little holes of the cork bark and decided to take a night time walk and nibble her leg so when i found her in the morning it was hanging off :(
sorry if this sounds a bit sick, but was it like really seriously bleeding and just dangling by a thread? or was it just eaten badly enough to have to have it amputated? if you get what i'm saying lol just thinking that crickets can do some serious damage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they had eaten through most of the skin and the bone so the leg from the knee joint down was just dangling by a strand of skin. Im not sure if they had actually eaten through the bone or the joint and made it come away. They was hardly any blood, maybe the cricket drank it :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
tombraider said:
they had eaten through most of the skin and the bone so the leg from the knee joint down was just dangling by a strand of skin. Im not sure if they had actually eaten through the bone or the joint and made it come away. They was hardly any blood, maybe the cricket drank it :?
monsterous little ****** that poor little guy, did he seem in a lot of pain when you found him in the morning?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shes 4 months old but very small. It didnt seam to effect her at all at the time and was sliding round on her tummy really fast instead of walking. .

I usually always check for ages getting all the crickets out at night but i didnt that night because little boy wouldnt go to sleep until 1am :roll:

I called into the pet shop on the way to the vets and they had a day gecko that had all its face eaten off that night by crickets. Told them about my bearded and they said vets are a rip off and i should just cut the leg off with some scissors myself :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
tombraider said:
shes 4 months old but very small. It didnt seam to effect her at all at the time and was sliding round on her tummy really fast instead of walking. .

I usually always check for ages getting all the crickets out at night but i didnt that night because little boy wouldnt go to sleep until 1am :roll:

I called into the pet shop on the way to the vets and they had a day gecko that had all its face eaten off that night by crickets. Told them about my bearded and they said vets are a rip off and i should just cut the leg off with some scissors myself :?
hmm i wouldn't do that, what if it got infected etc? and sorry, ment to say she before :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,120 Posts
Im so shocked that crickets can do this is just one night!!! I think im going to take all the bark out now when i feed my babies! I knew they could nibble but I would never in a million years thought they could do that!!!!

Im so glad your baby come through the surgery ok! Its the worse feeling knowing they are there and there is nothing you can do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
My auntie came and fed and put to bed our Beardies last weekend coz we were away for the night. She put the crix in, thought they had all been eaten so turned the strip light off. She then started sorting the geckos out and said she spotted a cricket having a nibble at Buzz's (BD) tail!! She grabbed it out straight away!!

Little b*stards! Hope ur Berdie's OK from here on in TR.

Take care.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top