Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has 3 snakes....all young at the moment thankfully :lol: :lol:

I was just wondering whether anybody could give me some advice on whether she is going out of her limits on having 3 snakes.....2 ball boas

When they start to get big.....which slowly and surely they are.....will it become a bit to much!!!?????

All advice grateful!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanx :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hope not lol,,i got 3 n about to get 4th,,,shell be fine if she knows what she doing :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Depends on whether your sister is capable of looking after them properly, I have three snakes and a bearded dragon, alot of people on here have far more than three, if she is old/responsible enough and has the right attitude and enough money, (because at the end of the day vet treatment and general running costs of a large collection can be expensive) then she should be fine, i would strongly advise some pet insurance though, especially for a large collection.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
well I've got 4.... 2 of which are common boas which are a little bigger than royals/balls... Some poeple have 30+ snakes easily on here. I'm surprised she ain't got more :lol:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wicked thats cool then!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

She is old and wise enough to look after them.....she has had reptiles before the snakes!!!!! :eek: :eek: :D :D

How long will it be before they are going to get near there full size....

Im a bearded dragon keeper and not wise in the snake section!!!!...im very curious...im sure she knows all this....but i dont hahaha :lol: :lol:

Thanx!!![/quote]

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Okay Damo.... Welcome to the forum........

I am assuming that you have Ball Pythons (generally called Royal Pythons in the UK and Balls in USA).

Boas are a different species.

Apologies if there actually is a ball boa specie but I have never heard of one and can't find on google.

If they are Royal/Ball Pythons then they should all be in seperate vivs / tanks.

Males get to around 4 feet and females around 5 feet.

I am assuming that she knows more about her snakes than you do, and as long as she has read a few care sheets (search google for 'royal python care sheet') and looked at loads of posts on here about them, she should be all right.

If she only knows as much as you (no offence meant but you did call it a ball boa) then she may want to start reading up on them befoer they get bigger.

Anyway we are probably best establishing exactly what species it is before we speculate any further.

Please confirm that it is a Royal / Ball Python and not a Boa.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well Ive got 30 odd snakes now and havent got a problem handling/feeding/cleaning them... I really dont think she'll have a problem... im sure she knows what shes taken on and can take good care of them.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea sorry my mistake....she has 2 Royal Pythons..and the 3rd is a Boa....not sure though wat it is!!!!...yes there separated!!!

I dont have snakes myself...and that is why i was asking the questions because im still learning about them!!!

I can asure she no's all about them....but she lives in devon and were in brum its a distance apart to watch them growing!!!!!! :) :)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
NNY said:
Well Ive got 30 odd snakes now and havent got a problem handling/feeding/cleaning them... I really dont think she'll have a problem... im sure she knows what shes taken on and can take good care of them.
We've been here before... They're kings so they don't count as proper snakes :lol: :lol: :p :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
reticulatus said:
NNY said:
We've been here before... They're kings so they don't count as proper snakes :lol: :lol: :p :lol:
fight fight fight fight!!!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
lol, thats not too many...

i am on 86 or so at the moment, snakes... with 25 or so lizards...

boas you need to be aware can get to 10ft+ and live for 45 years or so.. a big female will be the size of a ruby players leg! this is common boas.. the other end of the scale, a male sand boa, will only reach 18-24 inches..

royals, i have seen 6ft ones.. and have heard of 5kilo ones... they are a lot smaller than boas as a rule

N

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
thats not too many, 3 is the start of a collectiin i reckon

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The main problem with bigger collections / species is space and money, cos lets face it, snakes are not exactly high maintenace pets, feed once a week or longer, clean once a month, 5 minute spot check once a day to change water and clear up poo...

As long as she has space available for the appropriate sized vivs as adult (in about 3 years), and has the funds to purchase the correct equipment, and pay for vet bills, she'll have no trouble.

Space... what I'd give for a double garage...

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
reticulatus said:
NNY said:
Right thats it... thats your first warning... next time Im editing your posts and making you sound like a walrus :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
boas at 45 years? now i never knew that

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
NNY said:
reticulatus said:
NNY said:
Right thats it... thats your first warning... next time Im editing your posts and making you sound like a walrus :lol: :lol:
coo coo ka choo

:p

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
leave him alone ya bully... tim knows all about kings :lol:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeh thats all it is :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts