Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I made an account, just so I could ask this question. I've seen a few posts, but I thought I'd post one specific to my Stormy. I've had him a week and he hasn't pooped once in that time. Here are the specifics I've seen people usually ask about.

He's a three year old Leopard Gecko.
He was on sand, (I don't know exactly what kind) and now I'm using Calci-sand from Pets at Home.
I'm monitoring the temperature of his flooring with a thermostat mat stat. Trying to keep it just above 30.
He has fresh water available, but I haven't seen him drink any, which I understand is perfectly normal.
He's been eating crickets that his old owner gave me ("Standard silent crickets.") And I also gave him a couple of waxworms. He was uncertain about the first one, but gobbled up the second like a crazy thing.

His old owner, although competent, I gather didn;t have much love for him, so hardly ever took him out of his viv. As a result, I think he's understandably stressed. Just wondering if it's early enough to panic.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I would personally remove the calci-sand and, if you want to continue using sand, use either a desert sand or play sand( from argos or the likes ). Although, as it is a new gecko I would be tempted to say put it on kitchen towel as it is then easier to see if there is poo and it has not been buried under the substrate. Maybe also bump the temperatures up a little to 32C-34C. If he is eating he should be pooing.

Gavin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would personally remove the calci-sand and, if you want to continue using sand, use either a desert sand or play sand( from argos or the likes ). Although, as it is a new gecko I would be tempted to say put it on kitchen towel as it is then easier to see if there is poo and it has not been buried under the substrate. Maybe also bump the temperatures up a little to 32C-34C. If he is eating he should be pooing.

Gavin.
Is there any specific reason you wouldn't recommend calci-sand? I mean, it seems strange that a leading pet shop would sell it if it were systematically inferior. Plus a friend uses it with her gecko and it works fine. I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I want to make sure I have the right solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts