Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people I've got a slight problem on my hand. I have two beardies who are now just under 4 months old. Both have been eating salads and live foods and never had any problems. However Thor (my beardie who used to dominate) has gone off his food. Its been 6 days since he last ate live or any salads/veg. Really not sure whats going on as Loki has no problems what so ever. Im going to try switchin to some crickets and mealworms tomorrow and see if he eats those but at the momment he takes no interest in locusts or salads(which he used 2 tuck straight into)

I have been thinkin that Loki started to become more confident when they were just around 3 months old and would start going for locusts first whereas before Thor would have eaten first near enough everytime. Is it possible that Thor now refuses to eat because Loki is now the dominant one?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yeh there's a chance that Loki could be bullying Thor.

but just in case is Thor regurlary dumping? (having a kak) and what substrate do you use?

just trying to widden other possible causes

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem sorted, bought him some crickets and mealworms today and hes slowly eating them now. Seems like his appetite is back :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
it hapens, our beardies have been very funny lately, they seem to need less food than before, they also seem to only want crix every other day whereas they used to get live food twice a day.

But yeh they do seem to also, even at a young age get bored of certain foods, just till u offer them summit different then try them again a while later, best thing is to keep the diet as varied s possible.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I woulnd't feed mealworms, they are not a good part of a bearded dragons diet... How big are the locust being fed? They shouldn't be bigger then the space between their eyes. How much are they both eating in a days feeding? They should be eating 50-100 crickets a day, they usually eat 75-100 day, however, thats not always the case.

What substrate is he on? Are they in seperate cages? Do you have a UVB light? If so what kind? How big are they (tip of nose, to tip of their tail)?

if you can answer all these questions that would be great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts