Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As weeminx mentioned earlier, they aren't making 8.0 bulbs anymore. All mine are 8% for the desert species so looks like I'm going up to 10%.

My question is, are the 10% ones BRIGHTER than the 5%'s too, my OH is under the impression the higher the UVB output the lower the light output, meaning the higher the percentage, the duller the bulb. I only use 8% (soon to change to 10%) so havent a clue whether this is true, If this is the case I might end up with two bulbs in the desert tanks to compensate.

Anyone keep a 10% and a 5% of the same size that can tell me which is brighter?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Don't think either is brighter... the number just correspond to the amount of UVA/UVB they produce... If you want a brighter bulb you need to up the wattage of the bulb

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
uv bulbs have a coating of phospherous on the inside of the tube..the thinner the coating the more uv gets out..hence you get the 2.0---10.0 don't know if this has an effect on the brightness of the tube? maybe? but then again maybe not....
i have a 8.0 and a 5.0 in sep vivs and the 8.0 does look a bit brighter but then they always do when in different sized vivs...so know real idea!!! :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Don't think either is brighter... the number just correspond to the amount of UVA/UVB they produce... If you want a brighter bulb you need to up the wattage of the bulb
Sorry to go offtopic a bit here.. but I find this info misleading. The % is actually a terrible way to measure UVB/ UVA output, as some brands such as the repti-sun 5.0% produce more UV rays than the repti-glo 8.0%.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Sorry to go offtopic a bit here.. but I find this info misleading. The % is actually a terrible way to measure UVB/ UVA output, as some brands such as the repti-sun 5.0% produce more UV rays than the repti-glo 8.0%.
I have heard this as well and emailed exo terra (about 4 months ago) stating I had heard this and they told me basically in a pleasant manner whoever said this is talking rubbish as if 5% produced more then they would be manufactured to say so(ie be called ?%). Which did kind of make me look a bit thick as I already knew that, but was going to ask for some freebies as I always buy the 8% tubes. Luckily I get them cheaper now anyway so will also get 10%.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
so this means if the 8% is nolonger avalible and its now the 10% jsut a question would it cause any problems problems becuase of the higher UVB rating

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i dont think you can overdose a reptile with U.V, people use them with reps that dont need them at all, same as snakes, people use them with snakes and they dont need u.v at all!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
:razz: the best thing about these new U.V bulbs, is you can register them online, and they will remind you when it needs to be replaced! great idea:razz:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
thought id ask anyway better to be safe then sorry but it would explain why i couldn't get a new bulb when i ordered it

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Just so you know, these new 10.0 coming out are a couple of quid more expensive but apparently they last for a year, not 6 months like the 8.0/5.0.

So Well worth it!!

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
well mines are gettin delivered today(hopefully soon as im going out ) lol. i also got told the same thing about the 10's lasting 1 year(by the guy at cornish crispa and my pal who owns a reptile shop) i also will have to see it to believe it.be excellant if they do last 1 year.save a few quid every year..(more cash for more reps):lol2:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
HI all..
Lewb..the 5% gives off more of something but not UVB.

the % is still a crap way to measure uvb as its not 5,8,or 10% of anything that i can work out, certainly not % of actual suns output in any givnen area..oh..maybe the uk or russia..

You can overdose a rep on UVB..but not with a TUBE.. well maybe a cham or leo if unable to get further than 3 inches away.. but used as we generally do then no way.

desert has more coverage than tropics..the 5% and iguana lights are for tropical species, the 8,10 for desert so if u use 8 u should up to 10..personally i think we should all use 10% anyway as tubes really dont measure up to much.
But thats kinda answers the question i guess.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have heard this as well and emailed exo terra (about 4 months ago) stating I had heard this and they told me basically in a pleasant manner whoever said this is talking rubbish as if 5% produced more then they would be manufactured to say so(ie be called ?%). Which did kind of make me look a bit thick as I already knew that, but was going to ask for some freebies as I always buy the 8% tubes. Luckily I get them cheaper now anyway so will also get 10%.
This chart is taken from an experiment involving brand new 24" UV tubes of the leading brands.

Of course not everyone will believe it is genuine, but I have no reason not to:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yes thast from uvguide.co.uk its genuine and it does show the 5 giving of better uvb than the 8... that was one of each tube though, i think if u look at the other experiments ont he site such as the use wth reflectors etc urll see the 8's giving off higher than the 5's.

u can clearly see the benefit of the 10% on that chart.

oh and COPYRIGTH MAN...jk

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
sorry must corectmyself on the above, that graph shows the EXO TERRA 8% Giving better uv than the EXO terra 5%

but the zoomed 5% is better than any of the exo terra bulbs.

and 2 [3 of the 1" zoomed 5%] of each not one, sorry bad eyes...no glasses..pastel colours.. :S

You can also see the variation in the same yube and how they alter at different distances, this is for some reason also where the exo terra 8% seems to catch up.

also do u know if the codes in brackets are for different length tubes? example both same rep5% but [lz1] [bz6]

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
although the 5% are supposedly for tropical species, i dont really see how an extra 3 or 5% can be harmful. The output from natural sunlight is going to be a hell of a lot higher than the 10% surely? and thus the highest output bulb we can get should be the the best one to use?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yes agreed, the 10 is the only bulb id buy.
Having said that, i mainly have desert species right now...
if i had a cham or a skink id have to re-think and see what they are used to in nature ,where they are from and whether they generally get out of the way of ot etc.

But in general i think its prolly fair to say the 10 is the way to go for the most part at least.

i think the chart also shows exactly how pointless the 2% bulb is.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
depends where in the worpld you are i guess... i have a reptisun 10 in one of my vivs and 2 x arcadia D3 5.0 in the other... if you live in the uk the arkadia D3 5.0 is aparently a lot better than the reptisun 5.0 as it does last longer and produces better uvb. that is what i was told on a different forum anyway, the only reason it isnt really recomended more is that they cant get them in america easily. its the cheapest tube you can get over here aswell ;-) paid £15.99 for my last 24" one.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes thast from uvguide.co.uk its genuine and it does show the 5 giving of better uvb than the 8... that was one of each tube though, i think if u look at the other experiments ont he site such as the use wth reflectors etc urll see the 8's giving off higher than the 5's.

u can clearly see the benefit of the 10% on that chart.

oh and COPYRIGTH MAN...jk
Maybe the 5% is higher because it has a bigger diameter than the 8%?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts