Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im having a bit of a dilemma. I have a 64 RUB for my baby retic when it arrives, i have a 17" x 11" ultra therm heat mat which covers about 1/3 to 1/2 of the tub which heats up the warm end floor to 90f and the cool end to about 78.

The air doesn';t feel warm tho and I left it on all night. I want to get a heat mat that will cover half of the viv but all the heat mats I find are only 11" wide.

If i turn the mat on its side so it heats down the viv then i will have unheated areas to the side of the tub so what should I do?? need advice from tub keepers!!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
i use the 64litre rub's and heat strips with all my tree boas,only works in a heated room,my room temps are 70-72F at their lowest so the heat mats easily do the job
regards gaz

·
Banned
253 Posts
Covering half the tank is a bad idea. I would use an 11 x 11 max size on a stat in that tub ! make sure you use a stat !

When you put your hand on the hot spot it doesn't feel very warm but leave it there for 10 minutes and it will be a different matter. Heat mats heat by radiant heat and will warm the snake through to the core when they lay on it. They do not heat the air though so make sure the room is warm enough. If you have central heating chances are the room will be in the low 70's and should be ok. Retics dont like it too hot anyhow. If it isn't mid 70's to low 80's you could suspend a bulb overhead on a timer , use a low wattage, this will just bring the air up to temperature around the tub. Get a thermometer with in and out temp probes, loads on ebay, and set the out probe on the mat area, mat should be taped to the outside bottom of the tub, and the other end in the cool area. take temps often.

Hope this helps
Don

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
i use the 64litre rub's and heat strips with all my tree boas,only works in a heated room,my room temps are 70-72F at their lowest so the heat mats easily do the job
regards gaz

Yeah, Ambient in my room is always good. Firstly, it's MY room too, I don't wanna be freezing my jacobs off. 2nd, makes it easier for ALL heat sources to do the job. 3rd, if a heat source fails, I know the temps wont fall to fatal levels before I am home to take care of it.

That's my contribution for the day. Back to rambling now.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well my room temp is always around 75F as like xoirell said i don;t want to freeze in my room. the heta mat cocvers 3/4 of the tub now as i have turned it round long ways so ther are about 2 1/2 inch on each side un heated. should be alrite

·
Banned
253 Posts
Sorry I dont think I explained that well enough, there should be LESS than half the floor space covered by the heatmat, not more.

There should only be a spot big enough for the snake to sit on when they want to.. they need to escape from the heat of the mat. As I said it might feel mild heat to you but it will build up and can be bad for the snake even with a stat, if the snake cant escape from the heat.

LESS than half the floor space should be heated. so turn it back round.. 11 inches at one end is fine! ideally a spot 11 x 11 is perfect for the first few weeks.. You will find your boy will outgrow that box in a couple of months or so.

Don

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ye, this RUB i only for 6 months or so until i ge ta 5 x 2 x 2 whoich will fit it for most its life

1 - 8 of 8 Posts