Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm appealing for some help. I have taken too big a leap in my reptile collection and have got out of my depth. I recently bought a stunning male Macklot's python (liasis mackloti mackloti) from MPA in Manchester, he was lovely and tame and I dismissed the species' reputation in favour of his individual behaviour. He has always been lovely to handle once out. Unfortunately since settling in he has taken to the known behaviour of these as a very fast and "strike first, think later" type of snake,making taking him out an increasingly difficult operation. So far we have avoided a bad bite but I am admitting full responsibility for my mistake and looking for an experienced home for him.

He has shed since we got him and feeds very well, like his species are known for. He is approximately 6ft in length and in great health. He will not come with his vivarium.

I am open to very realistic offers for a super quick sale, we are available from right now. New owner must be experienced with fast and aggressive snakes and able to bag him up themselves. In the meantime we will muddle through but we would appreciate peoples' understanding on this and are hoping for a very quick sale. Please feel free to search my previous threads for lots of photos of this stunning snake.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Given the nature of the advert and the quick sale we need, we would consider swaps.

The last photo is from just after we got him, he has shed and grown a little since.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
PMs replied to :2thumb:

ETA: Some people have asked us to explain why he might be this way. We're pretty certain it is down to us having a fair amount of pet rats in the house. At the end of the day I am a rat breeder and rescuer before a snake owner and I should've been more prepared for this. We feel very strongly that this striking behaviour has come about with the arrival of a litter of rats in the house, something we can't avoid from time to time and he would probably settle in a home where there wasn't so much temptation! It is definitely a feeding response issue as he constricts with his "kills" (so far only a glove, but he didn't let it go for an hour!). However, we don't feel this is a problem that can be addressed here with the other pets we have who have to take priority in this case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.