Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OH has been busy making a 6ft3 viv out of a wardrobe carcass.First it was sealed then waterproofed with pond stuff then electrics etc.We will extend it eventually when he gets bigger he is 16inches atm.

beardie viv,just needs 2nd level in next

The vivs together

Bob enjoying his new viv

Reactions: ChaCha

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oh, I have a 6ft with just one 300w ceramic that does the job. Would it not be a cheaper option to purchase one of those tubular heaters? I have been informed you can get them to nearly any length and they are supposed to be not only very good at heating large vivs but also more economical.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The top light is just to light the top level but the bottom ones are there because i read this from Rick Albigs sticky thread on how to heat a large enclosure "It is very important to make sure that the basking area is of even temperature gradient and it must cover at least the snout to vent length of your animal. This will prevent the risk of thermal burns from a reptile only being able to heat part of its body".

Reactions: Snipermike

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
i use tube heaters in my larger vivs and they work very well.
but the reason many monitor keepers use a bank of lower wattage lamps is to warm the entire length of the lizard evenly whilst basking rather than a high intense heat in one spot.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Good point mentioned on the bulbs what are they they look like the r63/60watt to me you'd be far better off using 2 ov the par38 80watt,flood bulbs the r63 have got the narrowist beems ov any spot,youv'e got the idea right it just looks like you have over thought it and made it more complicated than it needs to be also go for a tube heater they are only about 3kw,and pennies to run yuo would notice a big price difference in your leccy bill if you sorted those 2 things out other than that it looks great,I,m in the middle ov a similar build for my baby bosc only it being a 7x3x3 and the heating a 250watt 4 foot tube heater and 2 par38 flood bulbs will be enough even for an adult bosc oh and for your leccy just put an energy saving bulb in the holder for the top layer.You would appreciate even the odd few pence saving on your leccy bill here and there when it comes to your future food bills good luck with your bosc there great :2thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts