Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had him for bout a month now and everytime i come to handle him he strikes not really sure what to do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cant really get at him he goes straight under sub and doesnt wanna be picked up then strikes or immediately coils up and strikes out

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
He can't do a lot of damage just pick him up and start handling him regularly :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Handle him. When I got my king I handled him for maybe an hour a day. If not more lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
at that age the most he would be able to do is graze maybe draw a little tiny bit of blood. but its all part of the challenge. try to go smooth and quick to pick him up (no flinching) hell probable be a little flighty when you get him but this will all pass with regular handling......... enjoy the thrill as in the end you should end up with a big lazy snake that just doesnt care about you touching him :flrt:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Don't get into the habit of trying to touch him in his enclosure or playing like you are going to grab him but then don't....believe me he will strike then!

Just in, grab and out and like the others have said he will calm down with time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
great advice on here. Just don't give up, be firm but gentle, and get him.
You may as well get bitten now and get it over with. Especially at this early age.
LIke said above he's still small and can't do much damage. Just try not to instictively pull away when he strikes. This could cause a couple problems. One, it will teach him that striking at your works. With SOME snakes, this can reinforce their striking behaviour. The other concern is that the snakes teeth could snag and get pulled out when you pull away.

Like others said though, just keep working with him, he should calm down eventually :]

If he doesn't, we'll be here to take the next step with you :]

·
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.
1,376 Posts
Maybe try wearing gardening gloves so even if he gets you it definitely wont hurt, will give you the confidence to handle him through the reassurance that it wont hurt :) good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had similar problem when I first started handling my 5month corn but I was a bit nervous (mostly about the snake hurting itself) but after a couple times it settled down and now seems to enjoy being handled so just keep with and should be fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could always try wearing gloves, however it would be better to use your bare hands so he gets used to your scent. He's only tiny, he can't do much damage, just get your hand in there and grab him, otherwise he'll never learn!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts