Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i bough a leopard gecko from my local pet shop the other week for the first few days he/she ( am not sure if its a boy or girl) was eating about 10 crickets a day but for the last 2 days has not eaten at all. Should i be worryed?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
leo's can go around a week with out eating to my knowledge but im not sure , if the problem carries on id try going and asking the pet shop guy or going to the vet , i dunno what amnyone else thinks

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's important that baby leo's eat everday to ensure healthy growth.

To be honest I would have a check up with the vets to check he has no parasites etc.

Do you know the history of him, how old he is, was he captive bred and kept with other hatchlings? what substrate he was kept on?

Also what is the set up you have , temps etc?

Han

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
have you tried a wax worm or changing food type? maybe he/she has gotten fussy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he is a about 9 weeks old and was keep on what looked like cat litter it the pet shop with 3 other leoprad geckos which looked about the same age and size. I am keeping him in a 2 foot wooded viv with kitchen roll for the substanes with two hides for him. With a red light heat bulb, his temp is about 80 at the hot end and 75 at the cool end and he is moving around abit at night and looks at his food but ive not seen him eat any for two days which is different to the first few days when i got him he was eating about 10 crickets a day and ate as soon as he saw them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tryed crickets and meal worms ive not tryed wax worms yet though!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Temps seem fine and he may be eating when you are not looking as they are nocturnal, but its a little worrying that he was kept on cat litter stuff before you had him. You are doing the best thing by keeping him on kitchen roll but it would be a good adea to make sure he's not impacted at vets.

Waxies are ok but not that nutritious for youngsters as they are very fatty. Also they can like them 'too' much and get fussy with other food. They are the same as mcdonalds are to us!

Is he still pooping? Also mealworms are not good for young leo's as the chitin shell is too hard for them to digest and end up using well needed reserves to try and digest it. I would keep to either small crickets or locusts.

Han

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed he had done a small poo this morning but it looked smaller that usual but colour seems to be the same. He also has gone a ligher in colour over the last few days! do you think he could he shedding soon?

·
Registered
516 Posts
It could be exactly that hun, leo's do lose their appetite before shedding so wait and see how he is after that. If he eats his skin and poops following i'm sure he will be fine.

If his poop looks normal I wouldn't worry yet. I know how panicky it can be at any sign of abnormality but I'm sure he will be ok :D Have kept quite a few leo's now and raised hatchlings so my nerves have been up and down!

Also keep him off the meal worms until he is a little older - they won't help anything. Try giving him locusts or black crickets as they have the most nutritional value and will make sure he grows up to eb a abig healthy leo!

Oh also do you have a wet box set up to help with shedding - it's really important to make sure no skin stayes on his toes or eyes!

Han x

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how long does the shedding process generaly take? and when would you expert him to be back on his food if there is nothing wrong?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have got a hide with a dish of damp kitchen roll in for his wet spot for shedding and ive orded some moss to go in the hide dish instead of the kitchen roll thought it mite help!

·
Registered
516 Posts
If he looks quite pale and you expect him to shed soon it should be over in a matter of hours - some of my leo's do it in the space of walking in and out of a room - like magic!! He will probably do it overnight!

They should shed every 2-4 weeks, it all depends on their habitat and speed of growth. You will probably notice that the skin looks as though it's slightly coming away from the body and they should start rubbing themselves on hides and the walls of viv. Thatswhy its vital for them to ahve a wet box. If you don't haev one yet, just get a tub (like a butter tub) and cut a small hole on side for them to walk in. Put moist moss/kitchen towel on bottom and the heat should cause slight humididty in there for them to ease skin on toes. If you see ANY stuck skin on toes you will need to remove it with a coton bud as it will cut off circulation to toes and they will drop off or become infected - not nice!

If you get any pic's pop them up and I could guess how close he is to shedding.

Han x

·
Registered
516 Posts
oops sorry to add about food! He should have his appetite back the following day, 2 at most!

If he still hasn't eaten then try dropping some mushed up waxies mixed with calcium and vitamins on the end of his nose and he should lick it off and get the taste for food back! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok il see how he goes and try the mushed up waxworms with calcium and vitamins if he is still not eating!
Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi
think he is ok now he ate two bigish worms last night and this morning he did a big poo! so am not as worryed about him now! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts