Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As my YBS was trying its hardest to outgrow the 5' tank as fast as possible, I decided on an indoor pond for him/her and my Peninsula Cooter. Thanks to Dawn's (AnythingWithAShell) thread I bought a Laguna holding tank. It's supposedly a 1300L but I've worked it out to be 1089L which is still a good size. (from what I can see Laguna have done a lot of rounding up with sizes and it doesn't hold as much water as they say)

I've been racking my brains how to make a basking area cheaper than how Dawn did hers and without compromising swimming space. I know Dawn's doubles as a laying area but I think a bit of sand in mine would do the same job. The answer - a seed tray aka handy tray from my local garden centre for £7.99. I've bolted this to the side of the Laguna at the top above water level, even without the buoyancy from the water underneath it's as solid as a rock.

I didn't want to put any attachments on the wall or ceiling so I decided on a simple frame over the basking area. I made this out of parrot perches that I had spare. The 2 uprights are bolted to the seed tray and the top support is fixed with wooden dowels.

I've reused the lights I was using on the 5' tank, also used the old cork bark basking platforms as the access ramp for the new basking area. The plants are also from the old tank. I already had the slate tiles you can see in the basking area.

I'm using the same filter as well at the moment. It's rated for 2000LPH and has a UV sterilizer but I'm planning on buying a Hozelock 5500 pond kit.

Total spend:

£149.95 - Laguna
£7.99 - Seed tray
-------
£157.94

So that's pretty much it. Now for some pics:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
As with the indoor pond from "Anything with a shell", this does indeed look very nice, and I particularly like the use of the potting compost tray, which looks to make a very suitable basking area which is secure. Good volume of water, and the whole thing is I am sure for very good for the turtles. My only observation is that such a volume of open water in what looks to be a nice domestic home is the issue of raised humidity, in the room, and possible issues that might cause?
I myself have a seperate tropical house cited in the garden, which has similar volumes of open water heated to tropical temperatures. The humidity in that room is often well in excess of 80/90% humidity. Whilst, a temperate tank may prove to have less evaporation, It will be interesting to see if either of you experience unacceptable humidity in your own living space?
I note also that the tank is mounted directly on the floor which does make sense for weight distribution. However, how do you intend to service the periodic water change and or accumilation of "mulm" on the bottom?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul,

Humidity is obviously something I will keep an eye on. I have a digital hygrometer here. Just across the room we have an air brick in the wall, so I'm hoping that will combat any extra humidity created. Otherwise I will have to buy a dehumidifier.

Water changes aren't an issue. The holding tank is within easy reach of the window so I can syphon straight out with a large bore pipe like I do with the tanks.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
looks absolutely awesome:no1:. i particually love the pics of the turtle hiding in the fern :mf_dribble: looks so relaxed in there.

·
Super Moderator
16,634 Posts
Looks good! They are certainly going to have a happy life. Plenty of room to add some more turtles then....

Only question is - how far away are the lights? Difficult to tell from the pictures but did look to be quite a way. I'm guessing the perches are 12" each?

Our indoor pond is in the utility room so condensation/humidity isn't a problem as there is nothing to be damaged, but we do have a problem in the living room. We have 2 turtle tanks, a tropical tank, a newt tank and two toad tanks. I raised this on another forum (terrapin tank previously) and have had to invest in a dehumidifier. The patio doors are streaming in the morning even though we leave the top vents in the frames open 24/7.

Brilliant setup though.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good! They are certainly going to have a happy life. Plenty of room to add some more turtles then....

Only question is - how far away are the lights? Difficult to tell from the pictures but did look to be quite a way. I'm guessing the perches are 12" each?

Our indoor pond is in the utility room so condensation/humidity isn't a problem as there is nothing to be damaged, but we do have a problem in the living room. We have 2 turtle tanks, a tropical tank, a newt tank and two toad tanks. I raised this on another forum (terrapin tank previously) and have had to invest in a dehumidifier. The patio doors are streaming in the morning even though we leave the top vents in the frames open 24/7.

Brilliant setup though.
I've lowered the lights since taking the pics. UV is 9" away as per the instructions that came with the bulb (9"-13" after burn in).

Basking lamp is now 10.5" away and giving a basking temp of 30.5C

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Well done Simon, great job :no1:

Love the basking area. My OH's first idea was to bolt the tubs on, but I was adamant I wanted a frame! Was more confident it would take the weight of sand needed and the adult cooters. And I didn't want to make holes in the tub, I have mine filled to about 1cm from the top. And your perch frame is really lovely!

Looks really good though, and your turts are so tiny :flrt:

You're lucky you could reuse a lot of bits, I had to keep my tank setups in tact cos the others got upgrades :)

I've had no issues with humidity as yet, like Simon all I can do is keep an eye on it. My windows (and the back door!) are all open pretty much 24/7, 365 days cos my OH and I are smokers, for our sins. You might need an extra jumper some days, but I will never have a smelly house :lol2:

My living room spans the whole depth of the house, and has a window at front and back, so when both are open even just a little bit, you get great air circulation. There's usually a decent amount of windy weather around these parts! I am quietly hopeful we won't need a dehumidifier.

So, well done Simon :D A new indoor pond and possibly a tank sale all in one thread ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,634 Posts
I guess AWS that is a benefit of being smokers then! Can't think there are many others. though ....:mf_dribble:

Simon may well need to hang onto either that tank or another to quarantine any others that want to join his two in that pond!

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
See, I knew there a benefit to it somewhere :lol2:

Disclaimer: there is no actual benefit to smoking. It especially doesn't make you look cool.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our lounge where they're located also spans front to back of the house so air flow is good here too with the windows open. I left the hygrometer in the lounge all night and given it's rained all night long it's reading 50% which is about what we usually get indoors during the winter. There was no condensation on the windows which is always a good sign. I should mention that the lounge also has a cold water Axolotl tank and a tropical tank in it as well.

Quarantine wise, one of the local cheap shops sells really big plastic tubs so if I need to in the future I'd get one of those. Easier to store away than a 5' glass tank!

If the weight on the basking area ever gets too much for some reason (big fat turtles) it's easy enough to stick some legs on it. :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Great set-up Simon, I expect you have a very happy cooter and ybs!
I do have one question, wouldnt it make more sence to put the filter intake at the oppersite end of the tank to the spray bar?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great set-up Simon, I expect you have a very happy cooter and ybs!
I do have one question, wouldnt it make more sence to put the filter intake at the oppersite end of the tank to the spray bar?
It would indeed but the pipes that came with this filter are stupidly short so I've made do for now. I'll be using a pond filter kit very shortly.

Trootle, possibly, watch this space :)

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Filter now replaced. Hozelock Aquaforce 4000 pump and Bioforce 5500 pressurised system (Ecoclear).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts