Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I truly hope this does not come across in the wrong way as I am a firm beleiver in the value of asking questions of experienced keepers.

However, I have noticed that lately it has become apparant that new members have asked questions about husbandry yet rather than offer sound, good advice, members have resorted to a slagging contest.

How does this benefit new members??!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
It gets more like the Lizard section in here every day.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
It doesn't. There are a lot of people on here who are offering advice which is being slated, be it right or wrong. Unfortunately there has been an increase in people giving bad advice too, partly due to an increase in sales and thus wrong information from shops and partly due to the forum being more popular.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Should look in the invert section, it's useless atm. It's full of bitching and general chat thats unrelated to inverts.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Should look in the invert section, it's useless atm. It's full of bitching and general chat thats unrelated to inverts.
If your brave enough, venture into the Shelled section! It gets rather ridiculous in there pretty often!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
It doesn't. There are a lot of people on here who are offering advice which is being slated, be it right or wrong. Unfortunately there has been an increase in people giving bad advice too, partly due to an increase in sales and thus wrong information from shops and partly due to the forum being more popular.
This is true. Or the lack of people taking the advice given to them. Say, 5 people could tell them one thing and 1 person tell them another. They'll go with the minority because it's what they want to hear.

There's also this thing with people being blunt and really need to get off their throne.

EDIT: To be honest, it's probably a rare occurrence but the Lizard section seems to be fairly stable at the moment... compared to the other help sections.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
it is because some people offer realy bad advice, then when criticised they swear black is white. another thing that happens is the older keepers put down the younger people, including myself, and tell us we shouldent b keeping some of species we r. imo teenagers can make much better herp inthusiasts than some and it is not right 4 us 2 b criticised. also the topics hav got a bit stale at the moment so boredom is kicking in

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
This happened to me the other day - gave a guy what I thought was good advice, then he goes and does exactly the opposite to what I'd told him.:bash:
It's what made me stop posting in the Lizard section. I was giving accurate advice and other people confirmed what I said was correct. Then they go and do the opposite.

EDIT: Other things contributed, like the era of idiots who have no experience with a certain reptile but like to give out advice that they have heard around.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The bike scene is similar these days - the older guys aren't encouraging the young lads, so pretty soon there'll be only aging bikers about - not the same thing I know, but I was agreeing with the fact that younger people can make good reptile enthusiasts.

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
It's such a shame but unfortunately it seems to be a growing trend. I had a go at 2 members today for jumping to conclusion when a new member asked a question about the value of their snake so they could sell it as they no longer had time for. They were considering the welfare of the snake but the replies given presumed it was being neglected. Unfortunately the members didn't understand that although they later apologised the damage may well have been done and the newbie too scared to come back.

What really annoys me about it is these people think they know it all because they have read about it somewhere, although in most cases they lack experience.

I have learned an awful lot from members on here and it would be so sad if the good advice available was denied to others because of a few people who jump in without engaging their brains first.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
This was obviously before my time here - you've just got to explain that one!!
Lol..Do a search.
What really annoys me about it is these people think they know it all because they have read about it somewhere, although in most cases they lack experience.
I know what you mean, mostly I only give advice on reptiles I own, or say 'I believe' or 'I think' when talking about ones I don't, but have researched.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It helps noone and wastes board space which is why a few of us haven't posted so much lately because things drift off topic and it becomes a bit silly.
And that is a real shame. You see, I have kept herps for over 20 years yet I know that I have more to learn. No one can say they know everything.
One point is that everyone will have different methods and it is, I feel, high time that the big headed "I know all" brigade sat back and realised that others may know more!
What sort of image is portrayed to new keepers, often pointed to RFUK for help, when all they see is bitching, arguing and an "I know best" attitude, often from people who actually know sod all.
When I joined there were members who knew their stuff. Now it is a regurge of wikipedia!
I apologise if this seems a rant.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
another thing i hav noticed is that the first people 2 hav a go, normaly only keep corns!! it wind me up 2 c a person with a corn or a king, having a go at sum1 hus having problems with a retic!! if it was sum1 hu had kempt more snakes and had more experiance than the person and was sayin ur doin sumthin wrong, fair enough hes probably right, but when sum1 hus owned a royal 4 2weeks starts telling people how 2 keep burmese it makes me angry :devil:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
It's what made me stop posting in the Lizard section. I was giving accurate advice and other people confirmed what I said was correct. Then they go and do the opposite.

EDIT: Other things contributed, like the era of idiots who have no experience with a certain reptile but like to give out advice that they have heard around.
Exactly the same reason i've stopped posting. Most days I don't even look now. There should a system that allows members to be ranked on the advice they give.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts