Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only just discovered the photo gallery after looking to see what Nat had bought so secretly :lol:

Anyway, thought I'd post up a couple photos of my male Fire Skink.

Hope you like them :wink:

Try & tell me he isn't cute? :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who ever said that Fire Skinks are not aboreal :wink:

Think this is my favourite photo I've taken so far :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after gradually getting hold of some equipment from England which I couldn't buy out here in Argentina(such as the UV starter unit :? ) I've now just about finished setting up my Fire Skink viv.

Took a couple of photos this morning so thought I'd add them to my thread here for anyone interested :wink:

I tried to make the vivarium decor similar to how I would imagine their natural environment to be on the forest floor, plenty plastic plants and little hiding places(the logs are also hollow) so he can enjoy feeling secure as he adventures around the place.

This one shows a bit more detail of the water/food dish fake rock that I made, under it I have a container filled with moist spagma moss(you can just about make out the tunnel he made leading in to it on the front.

Bless him, he seems to be pretty chuffed with his new set-up. you might think that adding loads of hiding places for a pretty secrative lizard would mean not seeing him, infact the opposite is true & it's noticably given him more confidence :D

Feel free to comment about anything there BTW.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm considering getting one of these lovely :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Wow, i've never seen a fire skink before :lol: . His set-up looks great 8)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, thanks alot for the complements guys, appreciate it very much.

Yeah, they are beautiful lizards, by far the best looking skink IMO. I just love those cute eyes :)

Not easy going to get a good set-up here in Argentina as lizards, well reptiles altogether aren't nearly as popular as back in England. For that reason it's very difficult to get any equipment or furnishings.

I had to get most of the equipment from ebay & make some of the furnishings myself, lucky & aquatic shop helped with the logs & bogwood which happened to suite really well to the style of viv.

Think the little fella seems to like it anyway :D

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hehe,a nice species,they were quite popular here 3 or 4 years ago and fell into oblivion...do you plan to buy another one for breeding?

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
They are a good looking skink, shame no CB in UK as do not seem to breed well in captivity. Only WC available.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
its well nice, all shiney an lovely looking

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i saw one of these a few years back and fell in love straight away, they are gorgeous, really nice colours. :D

·
Registered
25,686 Posts
We used to sell these a few years ago in the rep shop I worked, about £30 each, bought em for £10 from Reptech at the time, no idea if they're still selling them, haven't seen them for a while.. but they were always WC which might be why their popularity dropped as people failed to breed them, but seemed to adapt well to capitivty and having a few in a viv is great.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
must admt, realy didnt like fire skinks, but after seeing them i do like them, And that viv is AMAZING :p :D 8) were did you buy the viv nd stuff from? also how big is it, looks massive!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts