Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I have had my beardies for a week and a half now and need to know a couple of things:-

1.can my beardies catch a zoonotic disease from us as we can get them from them i.e we can catch salmonela, could they catch the flu of us e.t.c (we have been handling them thats all)

2. we have 2 beardies and i have been told that one is a female probebly but the other is a definate male, now the problem i have (maybe im stressing over nothing) is that the female is 9" at 9 weeks but hasnt grown much if at all since getting her but the male has grown about 3" and become alot broader aswell he is now 12" long and 2.5" wide and he has not stopped growing(last three days grown an 1") now what im worried about is that the female isnt growing any and looks quite slim compared to the male, ive seen pics of other beardies at about this age and they look like the female (bodymass and size) but i was thinking maybe she should grow like the other, they are bathed every day and sprayed once at about 1pm, there is a constant of water and food in the viv but i never see the female eating a great deal, is there anyway to get her appitite up or will she be ok and how big should they grow at this age because ive been told the male is really big:Na_Na_Na_Na: so im hoping im doing everything ok, just to let you know they are handling well now and come over if they want to be handled and are left if dont come.

3.i put about 50 2nd inst brown crix in the other day and the beardies didnt like it at all(mistake ill never do again) so i tried them on a couple the day after and they ran away so left them all day and still non had been eatin, so i got some black crix which they used to eat and now they wont go near them either but i can put in some meal worms and they eat the bowl clean, do you think i have frightened them with the crix and is there a way of getting them to eat crix again because mealworms as a meal on there own ive read isnt good for them, they have been eating veg and so on but wont go near the crix, what should i do?

so sorry about the essay here lol but help would be greatly appreciated: victory: mat

·
Registered
756 Posts
1. The only species I'm aware that can catch the cold/flu from us is the ferret.

2. There is a chance that the male is dominating the enclosure and restricting her access to resources. Do they share basking spots or is he forever under the basking light and the female elsewhere?

3. If they eat mealworms I would suggest offering a variety of mealworms, waxworms,try some small locusts (only put a couple in), and some veg. Make sure you dust their food with vitamin and mineral supplement.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to be honest the female is mainly under the basking spot and the male is usually on a log very close, she always gets to the food first but doesnt eat alot at all in my eyes, the only suppliment i have honestly got is the calcium which i powder there food with and also leave a small tub of it in the corner and they usually go over for a lick, what do u think i should get for a suppliment? the female ate a few waxxies this morn and a fair few meal worms, are the locusts easy to keep as i have got about 700 brown crix which wont be eaten

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
It sounds like you are doing the right things, feeding a variety, giving them calcium. Do you have UVB in the enclosure?

Some beardies just don't grow that big! You get some that stay quite small compared to others, not everything is the same size and unless he is so much bigger than her he is bullying her or she is not able to reach the food, I would not worry that she is not growing quite as fast as him.. As far as i'm aware they can't catch any diseases from us.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Locusts you are best off getting as you need them. I'm not sure about their upkeep as I usually get mine pre-gutloaded so I just offer them as food straight away. I think they prefer cabbage.

If her inappetance is troubling you then you could try giving her some electrolytes.

Like Athravan, I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. If her activity levels drop and she doesn't eat then I would take her to the vet.

·
Registered
846 Posts
have you tried hand feeding her the crix?
my lil female never ate loads by herself but would love being hand fed crix, she was the smallest of my 3 but within a few months she dominated the viv and shot up like a weed.

as said before no 2 beardies will ever eat/grow the same rate as magpye if she becomes lethargic and not eating then seek a vet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to be honest she is the most active out of them both and never stops running about, the worst time to catch her is when she is running about in the living room near the fire lol, i will try hand feeding her tomorrow but usually she wont take any food of me unless the male checks me first (must be a protective thing) and would locust's be ok cos they look rather big and as i was saying i was a little wairy about the black crix cos of there big booty lol and is it normal for the female to kind of get a piggy back? its quite funny from my point of view but she is always on his back for some reason especially when they are out of the viv exploring the house, and just to let you know she has just shed her body so i think i could be stressing over the eating, the help is great from you guys, honest id be lost without the help THANKS mat p.s nice to hear im doing something right (makes a change from what the girlfriend tells me) lol

·
Registered
846 Posts
make sure the locusts are smaller than the space between her eyes and you should be fine, as for piggy backs i dont think ive not seen a beardie do it lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
my beardies are always ontop of each other, I think its a heat thing and a security thing.

the eating problem could be because she was shedding or it could be because they are working out their own little heirachy/dominance issues. especially if she checks over to him first before she takes food. mine used to do that first aswell and he also had about a 2-3 inch difference from his house mate... but they have caught up now.

maybe try going a size down on the crix so they don't seem so intimidating and only put a couple in at a time. I'd also suggest you hold back on the wax worms and the meal worms. wax worms are good as a treat but nothing more, they contain too much fat content and if fed too often over time can produce fatty liver disease. mealworms unless freshly shed have hard shells and again over time this can become caught in their digestive system and cause impaction. the only way to know if they are truly digesting them is to check their poop for shells (yummy) it's better to use silk worms, you can feed as many of these as you like they are the best feeder around.

if they are handling well you could always try feeding them outside the viv in a container, that way she wont feel intimidated and you will be able to see how much she is eating compared to him. try and wind them up by showing them the box of crix first, get them in the mood.

locusts, go for small, I'm using small medium and my boys are 17 inch and they are just right so small should fit your fine. believe me they have about 7 sizes and locusts get to 8 cm

they'll come back round with the crix I think they were just overwhelmed.
And I wouldn't worry to much about the size.. like I said mine has caught up and picks his own fights now lol

obviously if it goes on for too long and it seems she is losing more then go to the vet.

jojo xxx

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just wondering if i do use these silkworms, where could i buy them from because i cant find any on live foods and is it a good substitute for crix for a while, and what nutrients and vits should i use aswell, i use calcium and d3 mix at the min (bit worried if they getting too much calcium) the poo's are looking a little whiter than usual and worried if this will cause any probs cos i dont know how much calcium they should have, i am sprinkling calcium on all there food except veg cos makes it like clay lol and i always spray the veg with water to keep the hydration up, ive been hand feeding my female and she is eating great now, i have been going in every hour and giving her a few meal worms and the odd wax worm and she is eating about 4-5 each feeding which is great but when she is full she goes a little shy and runs away, the male is eating aswell as normal without hand feeding and isnt showing any jelously, he is still licking my hand first though then she is sweet as a nut afterwards, but on to the crix again, would it be ok to give them a break from them a while cos the crix i have are tiny and thinking if i keep them and keep feeding them and so on they will grow big enough for them to see them as food and not an infestation:oops: (learn by that mistake) and if i can get these silkworms how do i feed them because i will be buying bulk and what habbitat do they suit for the conditions they need to survive? thanks for all the info its great for a begginer like me mat

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
if ii ate crix... i still would run if 50 of them were thrown into my viv to be honest.
have to give them a chance in a less extreme manner.
if they like lettuce... they still will leg it if u throw a hole lettuce in there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i see what u are saying but at the min even when i only put a couple in on the morn and i dont feed them anything all day i still have to go kill the crix which i have put in because the wont touch the crix this is why im thinking maybe give it a while before i start putting anymore in because when i do they wont go anywhere near them, i do have to say that the black ones arnt too bad but ive got none which are small enough at the min and im going to have to wait till end of the week before i could get some which are small enough thats why im asking about the silkworms cos ive just read that they are great for putting weight on underweight beardies and are not fattening and have a great calcium nutrition in them aswell so this is why im asking if anyone has any feedback for me on them and if its a good idea for a while, thanks mat

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
havent used silkworms as i havent had probs with the more readily available foods, i think everything ive heard about them is good though, defiently get some ifu can.

Also so u dont have to kill the crix... chill them in the ridge first..then if the beardies dont eat them in 5 mins..get them out,u shouldnt have to kill them to catch them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not really thought of putting them in the fridge but i know they mainly go for things which move but ill definatly give it a go, just wondering aswell i have a cricket keeper and im thinkin how to get the crix into a container to put in the fridge cos id get slapped off the girlfriend for puttin crix in the fridge lol(dont see the problem):lol2:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
lol ok... url find most ppl chill the crix to slow them down for beardies.

Just get a sandwich bag or other small clear plastic bag, throw them in, grab the end [like u would if u had fish in the bag] tie it [or band it] and lay it in th fridge for 15 minutes.

this also gives u the best oppurtunity to supplement the beardies food by chucking in the calcium or vits dust and shaking the bag to cover them well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks mate, i think ill try it now while she has gone for some shopping! should give me a good hour or so lol if it goes wrong im blaming you lol thanks mate mat: victory:

·
Registered
849 Posts

I have had my beardies for a week and a half now and need to know a couple of things:-

1.can my beardies catch a zoonotic disease from us as we can get them from them i.e we can catch salmonela, could they catch the flu of us e.t.c (we have been handling them thats all)

2. we have 2 beardies and i have been told that one is a female probebly but the other is a definate male, now the problem i have (maybe im stressing over nothing) is that the female is 9" at 9 weeks but hasnt grown much if at all since getting her but the male has grown about 3" and become alot broader aswell he is now 12" long and 2.5" wide and he has not stopped growing(last three days grown an 1") now what im worried about is that the female isnt growing any and looks quite slim compared to the male, ive seen pics of other beardies at about this age and they look like the female (bodymass and size) but i was thinking maybe she should grow like the other, they are bathed every day and sprayed once at about 1pm, there is a constant of water and food in the viv but i never see the female eating a great deal, is there anyway to get her appitite up or will she be ok and how big should they grow at this age because ive been told the male is really big:Na_Na_Na_Na: so im hoping im doing everything ok, just to let you know they are handling well now and come over if they want to be handled and are left if dont come.

3.i put about 50 2nd inst brown crix in the other day and the beardies didnt like it at all(mistake ill never do again) so i tried them on a couple the day after and they ran away so left them all day and still non had been eatin, so i got some black crix which they used to eat and now they wont go near them either but i can put in some meal worms and they eat the bowl clean, do you think i have frightened them with the crix and is there a way of getting them to eat crix again because mealworms as a meal on there own ive read isnt good for them, they have been eating veg and so on but wont go near the crix, what should i do?

so sorry about the essay here lol but help would be greatly appreciated: victory: mat
Note: I might repeat some stuff already said as I havnt read the whole thread.

1.They wont catch anything just from handling.

2. I would strongly recommend seperating your bearded dragons. BDs are solitary creatures and housing them together will just cause problems. Dominance issues will cause major problems over a long period of time and will go unnoticed until a serious health problem occurs. The dominant lizard will get the most food, the best basking spot, etc. The smaller one will be constantly stressed out. You should take out the water bowl from the viv as they do not drink from it. Instead, bath them 2-3 times a week in luke warm water 88f-94f for 15-20 mins.

3. How often do your bds go to the toilet? mealworms should definitely not be fed. They have a hard chitin which can cause impactions and offer almost no nutritional value. As a treat feed wax or superworms. You could try silkworms or locusts if he does not like crickets, roaches are also a nice staple... try and contact Rickeezee if you are looking to start a colony.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just to let you know they are going to the toilet quite abit lol and one of the main reasons i have the water bowl in the viv is to keep the humidity where it should be and when they start to shed sometimes they walk in and lay on there bellies and do a crazy jig, so id prefer to keep the water in, its not greatly deep so dont have any worries about drowning, im trying the crix in the fridge trick at the min but would love to get my hands on some silkworms but i cant find anywhere that sell them, ive talked to the girlfriend about roaches but she would never enter the house and the sheds are way too cold to keep them, im honestly not seeing any probs with "whos the boss" between them both and did even see the male waving his hand to the female the other day? strange cos ive read that it was females who mainly waved, and the female is always laid on the males back so id say they were happy with each other, but anymore advice is greatly appreciated thanks mat

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
a small water bowl isnt gona do anything to the humidity... we are in a fairly humid country as it is.
and some beardies do drink from bowls.
Also misting them over thier bodies daily or even twice a day is more convivnient and generally less stressful for the beardies than a bath every other day.
Also its kind of a 50/50 split in opinion as to whether beardies are happier kept aloen or in compatible pairs/groups.
ANd..mealworm are fine as part of a balanced diet, go for MORIO when possible though as they are bigger and less likely to be swallowed hole which could possibly [tiny tiny chance] cause serious problems.

·
Registered
849 Posts
a small water bowl isnt gona do anything to the humidity... we are in a fairly humid country as it is.
and some beardies do drink from bowls.
Also misting them over thier bodies daily or even twice a day is more convivnient and generally less stressful for the beardies than a bath every other day.
Also its kind of a 50/50 split in opinion as to whether beardies are happier kept aloen or in compatible pairs/groups.
ANd..mealworm are fine as part of a balanced diet, go for MORIO when possible though as they are bigger and less likely to be swallowed hole which could possibly [tiny tiny chance] cause serious problems.
the problem with misting is it raises the humidity in the viv and barely hydrates the dragons at all.. their skin is fairly impermeable and will not take up water - they hydrate themselves through the vent which is why bathing is such a good way to hydrate them. Mealworms can be fine but waxworms pose a lot more benefits without the risks. As for the 50/50 split.. BDs really gain nothing from being together, even if they look happy they are only tolerating each other, yet the risks are quite large when you consider how terrotorial and the behaviour of this species of lizard. The only time i'd consider housing multiple BDs in an enclosure is with a group of females, and when each one has its own food bowl, basking spot, sleeping area etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts