Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presume its down to the season, but I am getting quite a few not feeding. The majority are feeding well just the following few.

My 03 Royal has ignored and disapered for about a month now, he is usally out a lot and has never missed a meal until 4 weeks ago.

04 BRB hasnt eaten since I bought her a couple of weeks ago and again just hides away.

03 Creamsicle Stripe, is out and about but ignoring and again as royal has never missed a meal.

and My 03 Normal is the same.

This is my first winter with them but I have maintained temps as normal and humidity is fine with brb, so I am hoping its just ther clocks, any advice is welcome or should I start getting worried.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ive got the same with my milksnake he hasnt eatern for three weeks now,but his eyes glazed over the other day so it might be shed time x

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Thats odd because i had problem feeders in Autumn and now everyone of my snakes is feeding.. but most of mine are youngsters.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ive had the same problem with a number of my snakes, usually kicks in a bit later though.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
mine are all stll feeding but they are ganets! I could very well be the season, best idea you could have is to keep an eye on there weight. If you one isn't as active as usual it probably because he saving energy!

My guess is it seasonal... just try and feed every 2 weeks instead of each week until they are back feeding again... but monitoring the weight is a must

·
Registered
23 Posts
your non feeders

hi there do not worry the pthons going off food is so normall right now i have a breeding pair and they both havent eaten for 2 months my female went 8 months without food once and never even lost weight its very normall and now is prime time for pythons not to eat as its breeding season especially females.

my breeding corns also go off food for few weeks but always eat after that time, i wouldnt worry i have had every snake in the book near enought and at one time or another they all have missed a few feeds just make sure they always have clean water and keep trying with the food i do have one bit of advice when u try again with the food lightly sprinke some calcium powder on the mouse that way if the snake does feed it will give back alot of what its lost over the weeks and if it donsnt feed again the next week then u know he/she has the right vits and mins in him her.
good luck :lol:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have a 4 year old CRB who hasnt eaten in 4 weeks. He shed last night so I offered him some food this aft but still nothing.....if he doesnt eat the mouse by this time tomorrow its getting given to the dustbin (my BCI) LOL, but I am not worried. He looks healthy and a little chunky so I think I will just keep my eye on him. :wink:

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I am going to offer every 2 weeks now I think wasting to many mice :lol:

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Change in temps outside vivs maybe enough to upset them? I dont have this problem, but it seems very common. But snakes would hibernate is living wild wouldn't they?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Hibernate is the wrong word, they brumate. Brumation isn't the total shut down of the reptiles systems..... but it is a sort of hibernation. They don't move as much to conserve energy I think.

G

·
Most of my males are now off food and i have a couple of females that have missed this week but i think that is more they are going into slough.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
My hog is also off his food (all of them go off it eventually) - they can go about 3 months without eating then just start striking again, so dont worry too much Razaiel, just keep offering every 10-14 days and they will take eventually.
Little buggers arent they?! :roll:

On a high note my FWC took 3 fuzzies last night, she has been a real bugger to start off but looks like she's heading in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Thanks, Pendlehog :) It's always reassuring when others are doing the same. She's still ambling about her viv a bit so she's not completed brumated.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replys it makes me feel a bit better knowing others are the same. Not like me I never miss a meal. :D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Fluffy my sub year old corn has refused twice now but has had 3 sucsessful feeds a week apart, can I put to refusals down to seasonal slow down or should I be worried ??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts