Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just seen my smallest leos have a poo and it was .... well runny. A couple of nights back she piged out on some mini mealworms with no problems. Last night all three where not interested in their crixs. Tonight the other two happerly eat their crixs but she wasn't interested. Then I she her poo. Could the mealworm give her a upset tummy or should I be more concerned? The vets is not a problem, my local vet treats leos & BD on a regular basis. I just don't want to ...... jump the gun so to speak.
Any help will be gratefully recieved.
Dave

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
hhmmmm is she acting lethargic and sluggish?? If so Id see how she is tomoz and if still the same get her to a vet or take her poo in for a fecal, better be safe than lose ur baba :)

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
could be babe if she mega pigged out, see if she poo's 2moz and wat its like, also just make sure she dont start acting slumpy :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I check the viv this morning and there wasn't any runny poo. :) And she was very bright, so I'll see what happens tonight.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi there

hehe, sounds like the 'stuffed her face' syndrome !!

When introducing a new food item, its best to just add one or two along with the normal items, so the gut gets used to it.

Its a bit like someone going for thier frist curry :twisted:

Its worth keeping an eye on her, which I know you do, to make sure she does eat tonight. Sometimes if they had a tummy upset, they seem to stay away from food in fear its going to upset them again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Tony,

I was talking to my Sue, she watched them eat that night with the mealworms. She said that Gonzo start to eat the same time as Rex, he had his fill and walk away. Timone came over, had her fill and walk away, and gonzo was still eating. :shock: It must taste like chocolate to her. :lol:
I'll take her out tonight and feed her seperately just to make sure she eats.
I'm still amazed how fast they grow. :shock: They put weight on one week the grow in lenght the next . :lol:

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Yes they pile it on fast at that age.

They increase weight fast all the time, when hatch around 4 to 5 gm, so soon bulk up, but around 3 months they start looking much bigger.

Not sure how it works, as they pile it on all the time, I guess its like from tiny to small, then small to medium is a bigger change for us to see !

Anyways, good luck! I gota go, busy weekend, kempton park in the morning then Doncaster IHS breeders meeting on sunday!

No rest for the wicked eh!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well there isn't any abnormal poo and she has eat a cricket, a good one at that. I'll keep a closer eye on her for a few day, but every thing looks just fine.

Have a good weekend Tony

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right time for an update.
Saturday she eat 2 crickets and no abnormal poo. :)
Sunday I found some abnormal poo again :( , so I put her in a viv on her own and she only eat 1 cricket. But before I went to bed I saw a normal looking poo. :)
Tonight give her four small cricket and she hasn't touched one as yet. :(
I have some meal worm still, so I might try those tomorrow night.
Any help or advice will be appreciated!

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
how does she seem in herself, still active? eyes bright and clear?

not eating yet could be as a result of the new temp viv and finding her feet so to speak.

Everything was fine till you used the mealworms, and the others are still gulping up the crix?

I would give her a week on her own and note how she goes. Possible she picked up something from the worm, but not sure.

If she still funny at the end of the week, may be worth getting a fecal test done, Just to be on the safe side.

Ours often go through short stages of funny eating, its a worry, but normally sorts itself.

No sign of injury? same type of crix as normal?

Maybe worth not offereing foor for one day, then try again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She's still very active, trying to climb out the viv.
Both the older ones, who had the meal worms also, eat their crickets within seconds.
Gonzo was absolutely fine until she pigged out on the meal worms.
I have weighed her a couple of times since Thursday and she lost 0.2g.
I'm proably over reacting, and possably stressing her out by moving her to another viv.
I wont offer any food until wednesday, and see what happens then.
Cheers Tony. :wink:

·
Banned
163 Posts
i didn't read the hole post so if someone said this then just ignore me lol.
with my leo he had runny poo once and i'm 99.99999% sure it was because the mealworms either wasn't back to room temp( as i keep the mealworms in the fridge) or it was because i put fish food in the mealworms box to gut load em instead of the usual bran. so if u have gutloaded ur crix or mealworms anything different than usual that could of played a part in the upset tummy and runny poo :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well time for another up date.
I didn't feed her yesterday.
I've given her 4 smallish crickets and she eaten 2. I will leave her for another hour or so and hopefully she will eat them too. She is still very active and would probably climb out, using my hand as a climbing frame, given the chance. :lol:
I will try some mini meal worms tomorrow and see what kind of response I get from that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And yet another update.

Gave her mini meal worms last night, just a little dish of them this time. She didn't touch them from the time I gave them at 8pm, to the time I went to bed at 11pm. I think she was more interested in coming out than eating! :lol: Anyway, I left them in over night and most of them where gone this morning. I haven' looked under the tissue but I'm fairly sure that she has eaten them. :thumb:

Would it be worth the risk of leaving crickets in over night for a few times, just until shes eating right?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I wouldnt risk leaving crickets in, one bit me once :twisted: , its not bloody nice

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi dave

I sometimes leave one or two banded or brown field crix in overnight, but never blacks.

May be worth feeding a few and covering the viv up so its nice and dark for her.

Strange cos she normaly feed in eve but when still light.

As you say, if she had other things on her mind, like freedom, then maybe just a temp distraction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts