Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey please, i got a problem, on saturday i need to transport my hatchling from shropshire to the isle of wight (300miles).

i have no way of pluging in a heat mat so i was wondering how i can keep the snake warm enough for a 4 hour trip.

any ideas anyone??

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
heat packs? them ones you break and they heat up, get a few , wrap up in a tea towel and but them in with a snake, take a few spare for the trip in case the others cool down ? thats my guess anyway

·
Registered
617 Posts
As long as you keep the car at a reasonable temperature it will be fine. Snakes can be quite hardy and go a while without heat. Just dont put the heaters on full blast in say the footwells and then put the snake down there lol :2thumb:

·
Registered
990 Posts
I used the heat packs you stick on your back to help back ache? Or take a hot water bottle and a couple flasks of hot water and top up as needed :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Make sure its empty and keep the car at a cool but not cold temp, 4 hours is fine

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I used the heat packs you stick on your back to help back ache? Or take a hot water bottle and a couple flasks of hot water and top up as needed :2thumb:
dont just put in boiling water tho, other wise the bottle will burn the snake. you need warm water : victory:

·
Registered
817 Posts
I to shall be transporting a snake on Saturday : victory:

As always, I'll be using an insulated, zip up picnic bag.

Also have some reuseable heat packs which I may use wrapped up in a towel. Not to bothered about heat as I'll be in the car with the heater on.

Steve

·
Registered
186 Posts
thanks for the ideas and help, the are gets quite warm so i dont wanna cook it, i think it will be find wrapped up in a towel.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
right this is what i did for my snake transport, Jersey to Yorkshire and back again
Over night ferry (8pm till1am) snake was put in poly box, inside a pillow case surrounded with a duvet cover and a heat pack. cold nights)

journey back (heat of june) i had the opposite problem boiling hot and trying to keep them cool, put them in the floor well with the air con on in the shade.

the journey was 11 hours there and 11 hours back, the snakes did better then me thats for sure:blush:

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I moved all my snakes down from Yorkshire to Portsmouth in the snow last year - just put them in rubs with a hide in and in the car, they were fine. They spent just over 48 hours in a rub since I had to send furniture inc vivs down in a van the day before I moved.
You don't want them too warm for moving anyway, they're better off kept cooler so they're not very active.
Unless you have anything that is likely to keel over on you if things aren't spot on then they'll be fine, Most snakes are not made of glass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts