Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my two unneutered males were living together quite happily then they started to fight a lot...i seperated them and have now got one booked to be neutered.
Will i need to get them both neutered so they can live happily or will just the one being neutered be enough?

Hollie
x

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
my two unneutered males were living together quite happily then they started to fight a lot...i seperated them and have now got one booked to be neutered.
Will i need to get them both neutered so they can live happily or will just the one being neutered be enough?

Hollie
x
Personally I would get them both done

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
The neutering wont affect them apart from some of the hormones dieing down. No reason to get them both done if they stop fighting, just see how it goes with the one neutered. Oh and also, it can take up to 6 weeks for hormones to die down so give it time if they wont go straight back together. : victory:

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
The problem with only getting one done is the entire one may decide to keep dominating the castrated one. Our sanctuary deals with many Guinea pigs and we castrate all males as if they fall out its a nightmare.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
As long as the castrated one is submissive, there is no problem. Castrated or not they will try to dominate if they have that kind of personality.

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Hmmm the ones we have coming into the Sanctuary vary from totally aggressive to really laid back. The bullies become laid back with castration and the laid back ones remain so. Weve been doing this for a very long time and have found that thsi works perfectly. We already have a colony of 15 inc castrated boars and a few sows and a smaller one of 7. We couldnt do this without castration

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot everyone

I'll get kiryama (pig 1 lol )done and see how we go =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts