Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted a dragon, and now with a new job adding more stability in my life I have started the hunt for one. I was originally going to get a baby as I understand that to rescue can be tricky to the inexperienced owner if the dragon has been neglected etc. However since starting my hunt two dragons, one previously owned by a friend, the other a family member, seem to be finding their way into my care!

The downside to this is that they are both males, both of which have lived alone for the past 3-4 years of their lives. I understand I should not introduce them, however do I need to consider the placement of their vivs? Could they go side by side but with some material blocking each others view of each other? Or is their sense of smell strong enough to know there is another male around?

I also have a dog, so any advise regarding how the dragon may react to her?

Thanks in advance to any advise.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
I had males that could see each other and were generally fine apart from the odd head bobbing, but male beardies will head bob during breeding season regardless of any other beardies being around at all. I dont believe they have that strong a sense of smell but someone will correct me if I am wrong. It is best if possible to place the vivs so they can't see each other just in case though. As for your dog that really depends on the individual dragons and wether they have come into contact with dogs at their previous homes. In our house we are basically a multi animal house and everyone seems to get on. The lizards seem to tolerate seeing the cats wandering about the room and sometimes when the dog has got upstairs they don't seem bothered.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you keep both the dragons in wooden vivs, you could probably stack them on top of each other / next to each other and they wouldn't see each other and get stressed.

Regards the dog; it depends on breed and that individual dog. We have a rescue greyhound x, and he has an insanely high prey drive. We assumed this just applied for small furry animals, but in reality, he saw my beardie, stared her down, and the second she cocked her head on one side to look at him, he went for her viv, trying to dig round the back to get to her etc.

In our case, this means that she lives in the spare room where he's not allowed, otherwise we would just put her on a high shelf out of his eyeline. She isn't afraid of him, didn't run or try to hide when he went for her, the look on her face was more like "Who's this :censor:?" haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts