Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clean my water bowls and change the water every couple of days or so. Most of the bowls are never slimy but my little burm's always is! Even after one day it's a bit slippery. Water is always clear I hasten to add, so we're not talking green algae here. My CCP's bowl is the other one that can get like this but not quite so quickly as the burm's. So I'm wondering why this might be? I'm presuming the slime is bacteria. I'm now changing her water every day and cleaning and disinfecting the bowl but is this a sign that I should be concerned about the snake?

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
Are they Exo terra bowls? They are a pain in the backside! I only have 2 of them (both given to me, would never buy them!) and both need a really good clean every water change as they are covered in a slimy film. I don't get this with any other bowls I use.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are they Exo terra bowls? They are a pain in the backside! I only have 2 of them (both given to me, would never buy them!) and both need a really good clean every water change as they are covered in a slimy film. I don't get this with any other bowls I use.
Oh that's interesting. Bar my foster corn, who's upstairs in quarantine, all the bowls are exo terra. But then why is one always slimier than the others? I guess she could be peeing in it but I think they'd all end up that way if they weren't changed regularly.

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I've 2 of these exo terra water bowls and have noticed a slimy film when changing their water but I just clean well before refilling.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've 2 of these exo terra water bowls and have noticed a slimy film when changing their water but I just clean well before refilling.
Yeah that's fine. I have no problem cleaning water bowls I just wondered if someone on here could tell me what the slime actually is, where it comes from or what causes it and why it's always the burm's bowl that gets like this more than the others. After two days, some, like my corns are never slimy.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
One of my exo-terra bowls that i had for one of my snakes got slimey. I'm gonna use ramekins/or supermarket bowls from now on : victory:

·
Registered
349 Posts
yep my exo terra bowls were the same so i stopped using them. no idea why one would be slimey and the others arent, mabe its getting warmer than the others?

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
I use ceramic cat dishes from Wilko for most of my corns. £2 each so great value.

For the bigger snakes I use ceramic dog bowls which lately I have been getting from Poundland. Even better value!

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use ceramic cat dishes from Wilko for most of my corns. £2 each so great value.

For the bigger snakes I use ceramic dog bowls which lately I have been getting from Poundland. Even better value!
Hmmm sounds good. Exo terra bowls do look nice but cost a fortune, even with shopping around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts