Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
those comments are stupid, but the father is not smart either, leaving them alone? i would not stay alone with such a big snake

·
Registered
386 Posts
LOL imagine if the father was late home on feeding day and the snake got hungry and thought "sssssssss (mmmmmm) I need a snack", how handy is that to keep a sssssssssuitably ssssssssssized sssssssssnake sssssssssnack so close.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
greggie61 0 likes
Hate to say this but the top picture looks like the snake is sizing up the boy for eating the way it is lying there with him, I always remember reading a story about a woman who contacted a snake expert on tv and she says she let her pet python always sleep beside her, until one night it was stretched out, the snake expert told her to get rid of it straight away as it was sizing her up for eating. And that top pic puts me in mind of that.

LOL that was totally expected, different take on it though its normally someones uncles friends daughter who just happens to be a vet.

Only issue i really have is the fact he kips with it, rest im not too bothered about yes its a a bit of a danger but leaving your child with a dog, cat, rat etc could also end in trouble, that being said i wouldn't have thought the boy could overpower it even if he wanted too so that would always play in the back of my mind :/ Not worth risking really is it hah, will be interesting to see how the comments progress throughout the day.

Suppose in Britain it would be madness but i suspect its not that uncommon elsewhere, perfect pest control(and child remover)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I am so close to being like "First off, snakes do not "size up" their prey. If they wasted that precious time before a kill, snakes would be dead. Why would a snake waste its time hunting prey, only to sidle up over next to it, be like "Hiya mate, just sizing you up for tea. Is that okay?" and then striking it. Honestly, some of you just believe the most ridiculous things.
Thank you for calling we snake owners 'crazy' - that close-minded attitude is why snakes and snake owners have the reputation we do. That and the subjective showing of us. True, you can never fully tame a snake - it will probably always be a case of not if, but when a snake will bite. After growing up for 7 years with the boy, I believe it has gone through the stage where it doesn't see the boy as a threat. Dogs bite, but not all dog owners get called crazy. There is nothing wrong with owning snakes. They are interesting and fantastic creatures in their own right.

Honestly, that snake won't eat that boy. True, they can eat things that are *larger than the girth of their body, to a degree*. Even my snakes (which are small) have spat out food which they think is too big for them. A snake would struggle to get last a human's shoulders at best.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but some of these stupid comments have clearly not been thought through"

But that would be my 2 cents. Sorry it got lengthy hahaha. Some Sun readers just hack me off (says a Sun reader)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Possibly, love. I do like baby burms.... But no, I just get tired of the same :censor:, different day when it comes to owning snakes and people finding out. People callin you crazy, saying "errrrr" and all that when you show them a photo... At least try and pretend you respect my decision. Admittedly I have a friend at uni who, although she doesn't like them, is always happy to ask me questions and talk to me about my lot :3 makes a nice change from "I will squash it with a shovel", even if you have to laugh.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Possibly, love. I do like baby burms.... But no, I just get tired of the same :censor:, different day when it comes to owning snakes and people finding out. People callin you crazy, saying "errrrr" and all that when you show them a photo... At least try and pretend you respect my decision. Admittedly I have a friend at uni who, although she doesn't like them, is always happy to ask me questions and talk to me about my lot :3 makes a nice change from "I will squash it with a shovel", even if you have to laugh.
Some people like to sleep with a dog or cat, some like to keep a snake in there bed, not my cup of tea. each to there own i guess, and yes i am used to the "i will squash it with a shovel" comments, my reaction to those comments are also not best repeated on a forum all that i will say is it involves a shovel and a deep hole :lol2:

·
Registered
386 Posts
It reminds me of a story that my great aunt told us about her tom-boy childhood when she and her sister (grandma) they were children in India.

Eleanor killed a cobra one day and played with it for a few hours showing every one its hood and fangs and chased my grandmother around with it and then proceeded to show it to everyone else. And as children do she got bored with it and gave it to the houseboy to bury. Apparently the houseboy came back screaming and told my great grand mother that while he was digging the hole to put it in it slithered away.

Now I don't know if the story was as true as it was made out to be but considering both girls were convent girls and neither were in the habit of telling fibs I can only assume it was, but knowing what Eleanor was like as an adult I can only assume it was. We always used to love her coming round as we learned so much and we got away with murder with her when she looks after us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts