Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got Foggy, my corn out tonight, and noticed a single, dodgy scale on her back, about 3 inches back from her head. It's discoloured and a bit raised, I have no idea what it is, maybe she's caught it on something?

I'm thinking 'keep an eye on it until her next shed', but has anybody seen this before and can give some advice?

My sisster was taken with her anyway, says shed have one instead of a cat anyday and wants to get one! Another convert!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She can't have ticks, she's not been in contact with any other snakes, not had substrate changed within the last 2 weeks, not had new cage furnishings etc. I've checked all over for ticks, or other damaged scales, there is nothing, so must have caught it on something, maybe during handling?

She is very dull, so is coming up to shed, hopefully it will go, or I'll post a pic after.

·
Registered
380 Posts
mites and ticks can appear from nowhere, even if shes not been near any other snakes. for instance if you were handling others and went home to your own snake they can be transfered this way. anyway if you have checked her over then it rules mites out.
sometimes when moving about the viv they can get caught on somethng and be bent up. what kind of substrate do you have? if you have compressed aspen or some other type of shavings and you have a large snake the substrate can get caught under the odd scale and puncture the epidermis thus causing a localised infection. just keep it clean and wait for the shed. keep us posted
good luck

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On beech chips, it's quite small, and not getting any bigger, I'll wait till the shed and let yuo know how she gets on.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shed complete and all is good. I was a bit drunk when I noticed it and paniked...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts