Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was hoping that somebody could provide me with some insight as to what exactly my turtles are doing in the following video. Are they fighting? Should I be concerned about this? One is a Yellow Bellied Cooter, the other is a Red Eared Slider.
I noticed that the Cooter has been swimming directly above the slider quite a bit lately, but this is the first time I've seen what looks to be eye gauging.

YouTube - Turtle Fight

·
Registered
418 Posts
Your turtles are not fighting.
What the top turtle is doing is 'fanning' the other with his claws. It's a mating ritual and every turtle at some stage does it.
They do it regardless of whether it's to the same or opposite sex.
:)

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Info!

Graham - I was about to search for it, but realized that my search string would have been along the lines of "Turtles Fighting", which I'm sure wouldn't have helped too much.. lol

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Yes I suppose if you don't know what they're doing it's hard to search for it, and if you do know then you probably don't need to ask!

Maybe time for a sticky on this subject as it comes up most weeks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was going to suggest the same, our ybs started doing it early this year and coming on here i wasnt sure what to search for at all :) luckily searching for things like "fighting" and "strange behaviour" got lots of threads about it, but a sticky would save lots of repeating posts :)

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I'll put something up, trouble is most people don't look at the stickies either!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whilst we are on the subject - my ybs has been fanning one of our musks for a while now. we bought them as hatchlings about 8 months ago but unfortunately overfed them unintentionally until the start of the year so they've grown quicker than usual, but still too small / young to sex i think

Although not being at all aggressive, along with the fanning the ybs "stalks" the musk a lot too, is this directly linked to the fanning?

We are moving around august time and would like to give them seperate setups when we do but ideally dont want to seperate them before - at this age do you think its more likely practice and won't get bad?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
They could be trying to establish dominance, it's used as a sort of threat display in this instance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.