Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm closing in to buy my first Bearded Dragon. I'm gonna start with a baby. So I wonder what size on the vivarium I should beging with and how strong UVB-light, heatlamp I need?

And is UVB-light and heatlamp enough, or do I need a regular light bulb as well?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
you could start with a 4x2x2, if your beardie seems abit intimidated by the size, then just section parts of it off so it seems smaller and gradually make it bigger :p that way it saves you some money so that you dont need to upgrade as he grows :p

you'll want a 12% UV light tube, and a 100-150watt heat lamp, as long as the heat lamp reaches the right temps (about 100-110C i think it was) you shouldnt need another one

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mike makes some good points here although im going to pick at one or two things (sorry i'm an arse).

In the wild beardies have something like 100km2 to themselves (possibly even more) so it's VERY unlikely he wouldnt enjoy the space. I got two new 10weekers in a 4x2x2 atm and they love it. But he is very right about the money saving. Dont buy several vivs you will only end up buying more animals (like we do) to fill the "old" empty viv's.

The temps: i normally create a basking spot of 92 and then place a climb up through the light so you get temps of upto 120 should they so desire it. I do it like this (and always have) so the beardy can choose where to bask, as opposed to where you tell it to. In the 4x2x2 mentioned (which all our beardies are housed in for life) we have a single 100watt heatlamp which is on a dimmerstat.

Mike is correct, 12% is spot on. Make sure you change it every 12 months.

Oh and no need for a normal light in there. The UVB & heatlamp make it pretty bright in a large viv already.

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,603 Posts
I agree with both posts. All I will add is that your basking bulb needs to be on a dimmer thermostat. Most essential piece of kit for any heat source. Reptiles need a correct temperature gradient to thrive. Without a thermostat you have no control over this.

100-150W bulb as recommended above seems a bit excessive to me even in a 4x2x2 viv, at this time of year. Let me explain. Without a thermostat - with that size bulb it will overheat the viv. With a thermostat the bulb will be dimmed for most of the day. Beardies are attracted to light - if the bulb is dimmed they won't know where to bask.

What you are aiming for is a bright, white light that provides the right basking temps. I would suggest you try a 60 or 75W bulb to start with - set your stat - and measure the basking and cool end temps.

You could achieve the correct temps with a high wattage bulb and thermostat but most of the day they will not give much light.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts