Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!! Ive never bred corn snakes before and have just caught 2 mating so think i may have to get organised for incubating eggs but am not sure what i need and where best to source it! Any advice would be greatly received.

Before anyone has a go about me cohabiting snakes i wasnt i was assured that both snakes in question were female and i have always put both into the same container while cleaning out usually only for about 15-20 minutes at a time and have had no issues before. On this occasion i went to return them to their own vivs and got a hell of a shock when they were entangled and obv matin!! they have now been separated but i fear that i may still end up with eggs so should get prepared for worst case. :blush:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Keep an eye on her. See should ovulate and she'd more than usual. If this is the case. Get yourself an incubator. There's plenty of thread on here about how to make your own.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unelss you know the outcome of the babies, you probably want to snake the eggs and put them in the freezer if there is any. There is already enough normals everywhere struggling to find homes everywhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys not sure i could just chuck any viable eggs in the bin or freezer though

From what i saw of the mating the female one is about 3 mayb 3 1/2 and a good size so im not too worried about her bein able to go through the 'stress' of havin eggs and the male (previously sexed as female) is around 2 smaller than the female. Although if i have gotten it round the wrong way i think it should still not be too much of a problem size wise and 'stress' wise

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
You were unprepared for the mating so your not really prepared for any eggs which will be layed, unless you know your able to find good homes for the babies or realise you may be left with lots of baby snakes you can't shift I personally would freeze or bin them no problem but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
942 Posts
why? its no different to eating a chicken egg...

thought: wonder if snake eggs are tasty? surely they have to be eaten somewhere in the world...

someone on this forum has tried a snake egg or lizard egg, i'm not sure which. i'm not going to name and shame but apparently it was absolutely vile.

·
Registered
569 Posts
tbh if she wants to incubate and care for them why shouldn't she she has said she is willing to incubate so whats the problem?

Reactions: PESKY

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys not sure i could just chuck any viable eggs in the bin or freezer though
Why? Have you not seen preloved and other second hand websites and reptile rescues and the amount of ads of people trying to get rid of normal and common morph corns? Everywhere is flooded with them and there will be more popping up this season. You have to beg pet shops generally to take them off you as they don't want them and you get nothing for them and then you don't know what kind of homes their going to. If you can find homes for them before they hatch then sure but you are really unlikely too. If your willing to feed and keep all the potential babies then go for it.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Why? Have you not seen preloved and other second hand websites and reptile rescues and the amount of ads of people trying to get rid of normal and common morph corns? Everywhere is flooded with them and there will be more popping up this season. You have to beg pet shops generally to take them off you as they don't want them and you get nothing for them and then you don't know what kind of homes their going to. If you can find homes for them before they hatch then sure but you are really unlikely too. If your willing to feed and keep all the potential babies then go for it.
Have to agree, although i'm a firm believer that Norms and common morphs are under rated, there just isn't a market for them. The lastest morph's will always be more sought after, and unless you have the space, time and money to keep any survivors then getting rid of the eggs is something to seriously consider. Unfortunitly the snake market is very morph driven.

: victory:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I saw that in snakebytestv as well. Just cause you wasn't prepared for mating, doesn't mean your not going to be prepared for the eggs. You have a bit of time to get an incubator or make one. Don't worry about selling the hatchlings until they hatch, you will know where your at then. It will be a great experience for you and if it all goes well, you will be pretty proud. Keep us informed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.