Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from across the pond! I purchased a four month old yellow ackie last week from a breeder. I was able to see it's sire and siblings and look healthy. His sire loved to be held and acted like a bearded dragon in that way. My girlfriend and I have two bearded dragons.

My questions arise about feeding. He/she will not eat crickets dusted with calcium powder. It won't even attempt to chase it. However, it has no problems eating non-dusted crickets. It also will not eat meal worms. I tried two sizes. Super worms size and small. It has no interest. We are unable to keep dubia roaches as we live in Florida and they are illegal.

I guess I can try gut loading them, but will that be enough?

It has a combo UV heat light, so I am not worried about it having enough D3 to absorb calcium.

At four months is it big enough for a pinky mouse? If so, will that be enough for it's calcium needs till I can start feeding it fuzzies and eventually grown mice?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hello from across the pond! I purchased a four month old yellow ackie last week from a breeder. I was able to see it's sire and siblings and look healthy. His sire loved to be held and acted like a bearded dragon in that way. My girlfriend and I have two bearded dragons.

My questions arise about feeding. He/she will not eat crickets dusted with calcium powder. It won't even attempt to chase it. However, it has no problems eating non-dusted crickets. It also will not eat meal worms. I tried two sizes. Super worms size and small. It has no interest. We are unable to keep dubia roaches as we live in Florida and they are illegal.

I guess I can try gut loading them, but will that be enough?

It has a combo UV heat light, so I am not worried about it having enough D3 to absorb calcium.

At four months is it big enough for a pinky mouse? If so, will that be enough for it's calcium needs till I can start feeding it fuzzies and eventually grown mice?

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure including a top view and give details of the conditions; ambient and basking surface temps, humidity range and how you measure those plus the type and depth of substrate, also give the brand and wattage of the heat/UVB bulb?
The species does well on an invert based diet, but you can certainly add vertebrate prey. Pinky mice contain limited nutrition, the skeleton hasn`t formed, not much protein, better to offer a fuzzy mouse which you can cut into smaller pieces if too big to swallow whole before defrosting (no need to feed live vertebrate prey).
The species can go from egg to egg in under 6 months if fully supported which means yours could be sexually mature quite soon, if female you need to have suitable nesting in place at all times.
Supplements are mostly pure guesswork, some of no benefit, much better to ensure the feeders are well fed before offering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure including a top view and give details of the conditions; ambient and basking surface temps, humidity range and how you measure those plus the type and depth of substrate, also give the brand and wattage of the heat/UVB bulb?
The species does well on an invert based diet, but you can certainly add vertebrate prey. Pinky mice contain limited nutrition, the skeleton hasn`t formed, not much protein, better to offer a fuzzy mouse which you can cut into smaller pieces if too big to swallow whole before defrosting (no need to feed live vertebrate prey).
The species can go from egg to egg in under 6 months if fully supported which means yours could be sexually mature quite soon, if female you need to have suitable nesting in place at all times.
Supplements are mostly pure guesswork, some of no benefit, much better to ensure the feeders are well fed before offering.

It's not a very big cage, but the breeder said that it will do for a few months till I can build a larger one. The basking temp is between 125F and 135F. The ambient temp on the other side of the cage is between 75F and 80F. The substrate depth is 6 inches and consists of about 70% eco-earth and 30% play sand. The ackie can burrow and it will hold well. The humidity in the tank ranges from 50% to 60%, maybe a little higher at night when the light is off. The UV bulb is a 80 watt exo-terra Solar Glo. I measure the temps and humidity with a digital thermometer with probes.

I have it pretty basic in there to keep an eye on it for a little bit to be sure it is indeed healthy. I need to clean out the water dish as it likes to walk through it. I also need to fix the screen as one of our cats decided he wanted to lay on it for some reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts