Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
PM'd you mate! If you want to have a google, Varanus acanthurus (brachyurus at the end if you're after yellows, but the care is the same)...

Oooh Phiphi, I feel all special now you 'bigged me up' :lol2:

: victory:

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yeah a lot of care sheets do seem to be contradictory (sp). Basking surface temps 125-135, ambient hot end about 90 the idea of usng a bank of bulbs rather than one is good and is what is goin in my new set-up. 60% humidity ish, low humidity can cause loss of digits. Deep substrate for them to tunnel in, 12" ish, I'm still working on a decent substrate that will hold tunnels well....

As much room as you can give them, 4x2x2 for a pair/trio seems to be said a lot but personally I think they need more room, 48"x20"x20" for my female is looking a tad to cramped....

They like to climb so lots of climby things....nothing too heavy, all rocks rooted to the floor as they have a tendency to dig under things and no one wants a squooshed ackie.

Ummm.....pretty much the whole diet should be insects, crix, hoppers, roaches and waxies. Pinkies occasionally, like once or twice a month....

Thats how I do it in a nutshell....

·
Registered
890 Posts
Now if all caresheets read like that it would make life a lot easier. Cheers :2thumb:

I had 5x2x2 in mind so thats cleared that up. Bank of bulbs sounds interesting. Is there any info on this anywhere?

Hope I'm not hijacking bowie1125 but I'm guessing you'll find peoples answers just as helpful as I am : victory:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
5x2x2 sounds good, if you're making it yourself, or even if you're not really, a piece of mdf or conti across the front will help hold a deeper layer of substrate in without making your room a mess!

If you search the forum for a thread by rick_albig on heating large enclosures, it shows you a bank of bulbs. It is in a much bigger enclosure but the principle is the same, and it gives a bigger basking area which is what you want if you're having more than one. Also any threads with pics of Razaiels bosc enclosure are good as she also has a bank of bulbs. Its basically a group of lower wattage bulbs rather than one high wattage one...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
5x2x2 sounds good, if you're making it yourself, or even if you're not really, a piece of mdf or conti across the front will help hold a deeper layer of substrate in without making your room a mess!

If you search the forum for a thread by rick_albig on heating large enclosures, it shows you a bank of bulbs. It is in a much bigger enclosure but the principle is the same, and it gives a bigger basking area which is what you want if you're having more than one. Also any threads with pics of Razaiels bosc enclosure are good as she also has a bank of bulbs. Its basically a group of lower wattage bulbs rather than one high wattage one...

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/104638-heating-large-enclosures-how-too.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.